Checking out Materials
How long do materials check out for?
- DVDs - 1 week with two renewals (3 weeks maximum)
- Video Games - 1 week with two renewals (3 weeks maximum)
- Audiobooks and CDs - 3 weeks with two renewals (9 weeks maximum)
- Books and Magazines - 3 weeks with two renewals (9 weeks maximum)
- Book Club in a Bag Kits - 6 weeks with no renewal (6 weeks)
A renewal is available only if no one else has requested the item. Renewals are not automatic; items may be renewed online, or by calling the Check-Out desk at 701.241.1472, or by renewing them in person at the library.
How many items can I check out on my card?
A library user may have up to 50 items checked out at any one time. In general, the following limits apply per format:
- DVDs 10
- Video Games 2
- Audiobooks and CDs 10
- Books and Magazines No Limit (up to 50)
- Book Club in a Bag Kits 1
- Interlibrary Loan Items 4
Fines for overdue items
- Books, Magazines, Audiobooks, and CDs $0.10 per day late
- Interlibrary Loan materials $0.25 per day late
- DVDs and Video Games $0.25 per day late
- Book Club in a Bag Kits $2.00 per day late
After hours book returns
Main Library: A drive-up book drop is located on the west side of the building.
Dr. James Carlson Library: There is a walk-up book return near the entrance to the building and a drive-through book return on the east side of the building.
Northport Branch: A drop box is available next to the outside door of the Northport branch at the Northport Mall.
Any item that has been checked out from any Fargo Public Library location may be returned to any branch or book drop.
For more information on the library's check-out policies, please see the Circulation Policy.