The Children's Services Department offers a variety of materials and programming for children and their families.
Crafternoons at Carlson
Crafternoons at Carlson returns to the Dr. James Carlson Library on Mondays, from Jan. 22 through May 21. Children up to age 12 are welcome to drop by the library anytime between 3 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. for a weekly craft project. Stop in and get crafty at the library! No pre-registration is required. Please note, there will be no Crafternoons on Feb. 19 due to the President's Day holiday.
Battle of the Books Tournament
Join us for the Fargo Public Library's first ever Battle of the Books. Sixteen books will battle, but only one will win! The Battle officially kicks off in April. The top 8 chapter books will then battle with 8 chapter books chosen by library staff. Return to the library every two weeks beginning Sunday, April 1 and vote to make sure that your favorite makes it to the next round. Correctly predict the winner and you could win a prize! For more information, contact Children's Services at 701.241.1495.
April 1 - April 14: Round 1 voting
April 15 - April 28: Round 2 voting
April 29 - May 12: Round 3 voting
May 13 - May 26: Round 4 voting
Winner announced Tuesday, May 29
Baby Rhyme Time
Babies ages birth to 18 months are invited to join us on Thursday, May 17 for the next sessions of lapsit storytimes. Held the first and third Thursday of each month, Baby Rhyme Time takes place at the Dr. James Carlson Library at 10 a.m., and at the Main Library at 6:30 p.m. Share songs, fingerplays, short books, rhythms and rhymes with your baby while introducing them to books and the library! Each session concludes with open play time. No registration is required. One child per grown-up lap please.
Kindergarten Success! Storytime Series
Drop in to our final special storytime and activity session of the season, focused on preparing your child for Kindergarten success. Library staff will share tips for easy strategies you can use to instill a love of reading in your child and help get them ready to learn - all while having super storytime fun!
This is a parent/child storytime geared for your child's success; therefore we ask one adult per child to keep the learning to the max. The final session will be held at the Dr. James Carlson Library and is most appropriate for children ages 3 to 5. No pre-registration is required. Activities will follow each storytime session and every child will leave with a new book!
Saturday, May 19 at 10 a.m. – Do You See What I See?
Fargo History Hunt
The Fargo History Hunt is back with all different buildings! Take a peek into Fargo’s past. From June 4 to August 4, pick up a map at any Fargo Public Library location and follow the trail to 12 of downtown Fargo’s historic buildings. Use the clues provided to find answers to questions about each building, along with a jigsaw puzzle piece. Complete the questions and the puzzle and return to the library. Show a librarian your puzzle to be entered into a grand prize drawing. The puzzle is yours to keep! The Fargo History Hunt is once again made possible through a donation from the Friends of the Fargo Public Library. All ages are invited to participate. One puzzle/entry per person. Please note that some buildings are businesses with irregular hours.
Join us for a rockin' good time during the 2018 Summer Reading Program at the Fargo Public Library! Earn prizes and a free book, and take part in some of the many fun events and activities we have planned from June 4 through August 4.
Pick up a Reading Log (Readers) or Activity Log (Pre-Readers) at any one of our library locations, or online, beginning June 4. Keep track of the time spent reading or activities completed and return to the library to collect your prize. And be sure to check out some of our fun programs all summer long! Each week we'll find new ways to rock the library as we read our way through the summer!
Dizzy Dance Party featuring Karaoke Craziness: Kick off the summer with song and dance! All three Fargo Public Library locations will be celebrating the beginning of summer with a karaoke and dance party on Monday, June 4. While you're at the library getting your groove on, don't forget to register for the Summer Reading Program! All ages are welcome to attend.
Join us at the Main Library at 10 a.m. or at the Dr. James Carlson Library at 3 p.m. for singing, dancing, crafts and snacks. The Northport Branch will be hosting some rockin' crafts and snacks throughout the day. No pre-registration is required.
Rock Your Garden: Activities for the week of June 4-9
- Rock Your Garden Story & Craft: Mary, Mary, how does your garden grow? With seeds and shells and pretty flowers all in a row! Let's celebrate sprouting plants with a morning of stories and a craft to put in your garden at home. Join us at the Northport Branch on Tuesday, June 5 at 10 a.m., or at the Dr. James Carlson Library on Wednesday, June 6 at 10 a.m. This event is open to all ages, but is most appropriate for children ages 2 to 6.
- Family Rock Painting: Flourishing gardens have more than just plants; personalized rocks make any garden shine! Paint garden rock at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, June 6 at the Dr. James Carlson Library. We'll provide the rocks and paint, you bring the imagination. This event is open to all ages, including adults, families and teens. No pre-registration is required.
- Rock the Red River with the River Keepers: Come and take a close look at our Mighty Red with the River Keepers' River Crime Lab. We'll learn how to observe and respect rivers and streams using our senses. Our Lab session will conclude with an outdoor scavenger hunt along the River. Weather appropriate shoes and clothes are strongly recommended. We'll meet at the Main Library on Thursday, June 7 at 10 a.m. This event is open to kids ages 7 to 12. Pre-registration is required and may be completed online or by calling Children's Services at (701.241.1495
- Junior Master Gardening Program Botanical Bonanza: Golly Gee Geraniums! Join us at the Main Library on Saturday, June 9 at 10 a.m. as we welcome the North Dakota Master Gardener program to make you a Junior Master Gardener! Get first-hand experience with the process of pollination and learn how plants propagate. Make your own grass head and enjoy the magic of germination at home. For those kids who don't mind a few creepy crawlies, make your own mini-vermicomposting bottle and learn how you can compost at home. This event is for ages 4 and up. No pre-registration is required.
Fargo Public Library Talent Show
The Fargo Public Library Talent Show returns this summer and we are looking for contestants! Area kids and teens in grades 1-12 are invited to enter. If you sing, dance, juggle, play an instrument or have any other performing skills, show us what you’ve got! The show will be held at the Main Library on Tuesday, June 19 at 6:30 p.m. All participants will receive prizes, and trophies will be awarded in three different age groups. Be sure to check out the guidelines below. If you have questions, call 701.241.1495.
• Must provide own music, props, etc. (We’ll provide the sound system and we have a digital piano available for use by contestants)
• All routines, music, lyrics, choreography and costumes must be suitable for all ages
• Performance not to exceed 5 minutes
• Must attend rehearsal on Monday, June 18 at 6:30 p.m. or do a walk-through earlier in the day
• Pre-registration is required and may be completed by calling 701.241.1495
If you have any questions or comments, please contact the Children's Services Department. We'll be happy to help!