The Wiggle Room
Learning Through Play!
Children from birth through age 6 and their parents or caregivers are invited to explore this exciting space filled with a mix of play experiences. Located in the Children’s Department of the Main Library, the Wiggle Room is designed for our youngest library users and focuses on building early literacy skills through one of the most important ways children learn – PLAY! With puzzles, blocks, costumes and a writing center, there is something to engage every child.
Recent research on early literacy and child development indicates that it is never too early to start preparing young children for reading success. Children who have been read to from an early age have a larger vocabulary, better language skills, a greater interest in books, and are more likely to want to learn to read. In addition, research has also shown that children need to develop certain skills in order to fully benefit from the reading instruction they receive when they start school.
As parents or other caregivers talk, sing, read, and play with children, the youngsters develop the language and literacy skills children need to become successful readers and learners. Children who enter kindergarten with these skills are ready to learn to read. Since so much of school success is based on being a good reader, the staff of the Fargo Public Library is excited to offer parents in our community this space to support their children’s reading success.
We hope you’ll visit the Wiggle Room soon!
Wiggle Room Hours
The Wiggle Room is open Mondays – Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., Fridays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sundays from 1 to 5 p.m.
Guidelines for Use
- Children birth to age 6 with their adult caregivers only. Activities found in the Wiggle Room focus on early literacy skills and activities best suited to the developmental needs of young children.
- Adults are expected to stay with their children to guide them in play and take responsibility for their behavior. This space has been designed so that children will get the maximum benefit by interacting with their parents or other adult caregivers.
- Activities included in the Wiggle Room are “indoor” activities such as writing, drawing, manipulating toys, and building with blocks. These are important for all children to learn and practice.
- Running, jumping, shouting, and throwing objects are “outdoor” activities and do not belong in the Wiggle Room.
- Groups of 5 or more need to check with Children’s Staff before using the Wiggle Room.
- The room cannot be reserved for private use.
- Room capacity is limited to 30 individuals.
- Use the Family Bathroom located in the Children’s Department to change diapers.
For more information about the Wiggle Room, please contact Children’s Services.