Woodcrest Area Flood Risk Management
In an effort to provide permanent flood protection and reduce the amount of emergency measures needed to protect properties in the Woodcrest neighborhood from river flooding, the City of Fargo, in conjunction with Houston Engineering, is developing a flood risk management project that will be designed in 2019 and constructed in 2020/2021.
Previous flood fight efforts within this neighborhood required the construction of emergency sandbag levees. To date, work in this neighborhood has consisted of acquiring several properties that have been removed and lots cleared for future levee construction.
This proposed flood risk management project includes:
- Earthen levees constructed to a river stage of 44’
- Storm sewer installation along the dry side of the levee for drainage
- Installation of new storm sewer along Woodcrest Drive
- Construction of a new storm sewer lift station in the Woodcrest Drive cul-de-sac
- Replanting trees that are removed for the levee footprint and the required non-vegetative clear zone
A public meeting to present levee alignments and project features occurred on August 22nd, 2019. A PDF of the slideshow presented at the meeting is located on the right hand side of this page. A walk-through with residents showing the anticipated levee footprint took place on September 12th, 2019.
Proposed Timeline of Design & Construction
- Late 2019: Alignment finalization
- Early 2020: Presentation of the project to the City Commission
- Winter/Spring 2020: Easement acquisition
- Spring/Summer 2020: Permit review and approval
- Fall of 2020 and/or summer of 2021: Commencement of construction
The project will require the City to obtain easements for the levee and clear zone across private property. The project will not commence until all easements for the levee have been secured.