Royal Oaks Area Flood Risk Management
In an effort to provide permanent flood protection and reduce the amount of emergency measures needed to protect properties in the Royal Oaks neighborhood from river flooding, the City of Fargo, in conjunction with Houston Engineering, is developing a flood risk management project that will be designed in 2020 and constructed in 2020/2021.
Previous flood fight efforts within this neighborhood required the construction of emergency sandbag levees.
This proposed flood risk management project includes:
- Earthen levees constructed to a river stage of 44’
- Replanting trees that are removed for the levee footprint and the required non-vegetative clear zone
The first public meeting to present the recommended levee alignment and project features occurred on January 16th, 2020. A PDF of the slideshow presented at the meeting is located on the right hand side of this page.
Proposed Timeline of Design & Construction
- January 16th, 2020: Neighborhood meeting/alignment finalization
- January 27th 2020: City Commission informational meeting
- February 2020: Present to City Commission for alignment approval
- Winter/Spring 2020: Property acquisition & final project design
- Spring/Summer 2020: Permit review and approval
- To Be Determined: Bidding & Construction
Full property acquisitions are required where the levee encroaches onto existing homes. The project will not commence until all acquisitions have been secured.