The goal of floodplain management is to protect the interests of the citizens of Fargo by encouraging responsible development in Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHA). Our floodplain management activity includes:
- Administration of the Flood Protection Incentive Program
- Administration of Community Rating System (CRS)
- Administration, design and construction of flood protection projects
- Administration of floodplain development permits
- Providing flood map information
- Providing elevation certificates
Floodplain Development Permits and the Regulatory Floodplain
The City of Fargo, State of North Dakota and the United States Government have specific rules and requirements regarding development in areas designated as floodplain. This includes, but is not limited to, permanent or temporary construction of structures, levees, and earthen fill. Refer to the following resources for further information:
- Floodplain Development Permit
- Floodplain Management (Section 21-06 of the City's Code of Ordinances)
- Water Course Setback Requirements (Section 20-0508 of the City's Code of Ordinances)
- Floodproof Building Requirements
- Fargo Floodproofing Code
- Levee Construction Requirements: Please refer to Section 3600 (Flood Control Levees, Revised 2012) of the City's Standard Specifications for Construction
- Building in the Floodplain
For additional information and guidance on development within the floodplain, contact the City of Fargo Inspections Department via the Contact Information section in the right margin of this page.
For current floodplain information on your home or business,contact the City of Fargo Engineering Department via the Contact Information section in the right margin of this page.
For additional information an resources regarding floodplain management, please visit our Floodplain Resources page.