Oak Grove Area Flood Risk Management Project
In an effort to provide permanent flood protection and reduce the amount of emergency measures needed to protect properties from river flooding in the Oak Grove neighborhood, the City of Fargo, in conjunction with Houston Engineering, is developing a flood risk management project that will be constructed in 2021.
Previous flood fight efforts within this neighborhood required the construction of emergency sandbag and earthen levees.
This proposed flood risk management project includes:
- Earthen levees constructed to a river stage of 44’
- Concrete and sheet pile floodwalls constructed to a river stage of 45’
- Storm sewer installation along the dry side of the levee for drainage
- Construction of a new storm sewer gatewell near the southern park entrance
- Replanting trees that are removed for the levee footprint and the required non-vegetative clear zone
The proposed levee alignment and project features was presented to the City Commission for approval in 2020. A PDF of the slideshow presented at the October 5, 2020 City Commission meeting is located on the right hand side of this page.
Proposed Timeline of Design & Construction
- Spring 2021: Permit review and approval
- March 31, 2021: Bid opening
- Spring/Summer 2021: Construction
- Fall/Winter 2021: Construction complete
- Spring 2022: Final project cleanup and closeout