Police Ride-Along Program
The Fargo Police Department offers the opportunity for individuals to ride-along with a police officer during a normal tour of duty, and experience an officer's day-to-day duties and responsibilities.
Criminal justice students, and those interested in a career in law enforcement, have found it particularly useful. The Ride-Along program fosters a better understanding of the challenges, hazards and rewards of a police officer's role in the community.
- Ride-alongs can occur at anytime on any shift. The Day Shift runs from 7 a.m to 5 p.m.; the Evening Shift runs from 3 p.m. to 2 a.m.; the Night Shift runs from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- Generally, riders are allowed a four-hour block every six months. However, exceptions will be made if the applicant is attending a law enforcement academy, citizen academy, intern program or if other special circumstances apply.
- Riders must be at least 14 years of age. Those under the age of 18 will need a parent’s approval prior to riding along.
- You should indicate the time and date you wish to ride in the appropriate space on the application. The selected date should be at least 30 days from the date of application.
- We may not be able to accommodate requests to ride with specific officers or in specific parts of town.
- Those wanting to ride-along with a Fargo Police Officer must agree to have a criminal records check completed prior to the request being approved. Prior citations, arrests or convictions will not necessarily disqualify you from riding along. Each application will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- You will NOT be contacted about your ride-along request unless there is a problem with your application or some other complication. Unless you hear differently, you should show up to the Fargo Police Station, 222 4 St. N., on the date and time you selected.
How do you sign up for a ride-along?
If you are interested in the Ride-Along program, please print and complete the Ride-Along Application and Release Form available on this page.
You may drop-off or mail the application to the Fargo Police Department Headquarters.
Completing a Ride-Along application does not guarantee that your request will be approved.
Dress Code and Etiquette
Citizens riding along with Fargo Police Officers must dress appropriately for the duration of their ride. Business casual or professional attire is preferred. However, blue jeans, tennis-shoes, and other casual attire is acceptable as long as it is not offensive or in disrepair. Riders should be prepared to be outside for short or extended periods in a variety of weather conditions. Smoking or the use of other tobacco products is not permitted in any police facility, motor vehicle, or while in the presence of the general public.
Any person riding along must agree to follow all lawful instructions provided to them by any member of the Fargo Police Department during the time the person is participating in the ride-along.
You are not allowed to carry or bring with you any firearm or other dangerous weapon during the time you are accompanying a sworn officer or other department employee, regardless of your status or ability to otherwise lawfully possess or carry any such firearm or dangerous weapon.
Failure to adhere to these rules and guidelines may result in the ride-along being terminated early at the discretion of the officer or supervisor.