Brush Recycling Program
This program is intended to reduce the amount of tree debris going into our landfill and to provide the City with a usable product. Its intent is to simply ease the burden of property owners hauling smaller piles to the landfill on a regular basis. This program runs May 1 - October 31. Please keep the following guidelines in mind:
1. Brush must be bundled and out on the boulevard by 7 a.m. on your recycling day.
2. Brush piles must be placed on the boulevard, even if your garbage is picked up in the alley.
3. Brush/logs up to 10" in diameter will be picked up, logs longer than 10' will not be picked up.
4. Separate brush from logs.
5. Brush must be placed on the boulevard, preferably with the cut ends of brush pointing towards the curb.
6. Stumps* and roots* will not be collected. Homeowners can haul stumps, roots or over-sized logs to the landfill at no charge. The landfill requires proof of Fargo residency.
7. Do not put brush in garbage cans, boxes or bags.**
8. Excessively large piles of brush may take multiple weeks to remove from the boulevard. If brush piles are larger than two pickup loads, residents should contract with a commercial tree service for pick-up or haul the brush to the landfill on their own. At most, we will spend 5 to 10 minutes of time working on a large pile. We might even skip the large pile and return to it at the end of the day if our route is finished.
9. This program is not intended to subsidize commercial tree service work. City crews will not pick up any brush generated by commercial tree services; it is the responsibility of the property owner and/or tree service to dispose of the brush.
* Stumps and roots routinely hold large quantities of dirt and often have rocks embedded in the wood; we do not pick up this material as part of our curbside program in an effort to keep our equipment in proper working condition.
** We appreciate efforts to keep woody material contained in an orderly fashion, but often times items are mistakenly placed inside these containers that should not go through a chipper.