Values Patch

Police Hero

Traffic Accidents

What are the reporting requirements if I’ve been involved in a traffic accident?

A traffic accident report will be taken by the Fargo Police Department when one of the following reporting criteria is met:

  • A person involved in the traffic collision has been injured (complaining of pain is considered injury) or dies.
  • One of the drivers is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • One of the drivers has fled the location without stopping to exchange information or check on the welfare of the other parties involved.
  • City property is involved (city vehicle, light post, signal light, etc.).
  • Damage to values $4,000 or greater.

How do I make a traffic accident report?

Any person involved in a traffic collision, that meets the criteria, may call dispatch to have an officer respond or the parties can exchange information and can come into the police station to make a report. The report should be made as soon as possible. The person reporting the collision needs to bring along the following information:

  • The time and location (street address/cross streets) where the collision occurred.
  • The license plate number of the vehicle he or she was driving when they were involved in the traffic collision.
  • Driver's license
  • Insurance information (name of the insurance company and their policy number)
  • The names, addresses, and phone numbers of all passengers in their vehicle.
  • The license plate numbers, names, addresses, and phone numbers of all other involved drivers and passengers .

What happens if I leave the scene of an accident?

It is a crime when you don't stop to exchange required information with the other driver(s) or take reasonable steps to locate the owner of property that was damaged in an accident. You must stop your vehicle at the scene of the accident, or as close to it as possible, and remain there until all drivers have exchanged information. This information includes names and addresses, insurance policy carriers (for the driver and the owner), vehicle license plate numbers, and driver’s license numbers. If the accident involves an injury or death, the penalty for leaving the scene is more severe. Accidents involving an injury or total damage greater than $4,000 must be reported to the police.

How can I obtain a copy of an accident report?

Copies of accident reports can be obtained from the ND Department of Transportation.