Service Policy: Meeting Rooms
The Fargo Public Library provides meeting space for use by the library, by municipal, county and state government, and by the general population for lawful public use.
Meeting spaces are available ONLY during regular library hours. See Fargo Public Library website for details.
All scheduling is made through library administration between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Reservations are preferred at least two weeks in advance of the meeting date and may be made up to 6 months in advance. Other than the library, municipal, county and state government, no group may reserve the meeting room for more than four four-hour blocks in any month. The library reserves the right to cancel any booking with a six-week notice for its own programming needs.
Fees must be paid at the time of the application. Fees are nonrefundable unless notice of cancellation is received by library administration at least one day in advance of the event, or unless the library cancels the booking. Fees may be paid by cash, check, or credit card. Unclaimed refunds and transfers of reservations over 6 months old will be forfeited.
Groups are not booked for meeting space until application and payment have been received and confirmed by the library. Confirmation will be made in person, by mail, or email. Groups will be notified either in person, by phone, or email if their application has been rejected.
Groups requiring assistance with and/or set up of audiovisual technologies need to specifically request assistance at the time the room is reserved. Groups should be aware that staff availability is limited and staff may not be available throughout the duration of the event to help with technology troubleshooting.
Chair and table set-up requests for the Community Room at the Main Library must be made at the time the room is reserved; staff will not be available to make adjustments the day of the event.
The Carlson and Northport Libraries do not have staff to assist with chair and table set up.
Walk in use is allowed in the conference rooms when available. The community rooms are not available for walk in use. Technology assistance and or access is not available for walk in use in the conference rooms.
Statement of Policy and Principles
1. The Fargo Public Library is a public facility built and maintained by the taxpayers of the city and by private contributions. It is used primarily for programs and services of the Public Library.
2. When the meeting rooms are not being used for those purposes, they are available to groups, organizations, and individuals according to the rules of this policy.
3. The library strives to minimize expenses for supervision, security, liability, utilities, etc., so that primary library services are not negatively affected. Fees are charged to offset additional costs to the library.
4. Meeting room use must not disrupt or conflict with regular library operations and services. On this basis, requests for use may be denied or suspended.
5. All meetings must be open to the public. Meetings may not be restricted to any particular group or individuals.
6. The meeting rooms are for meetings and programs of an educational, informational, cultural, or civic nature to enhance the library's role as an institution which connects people with information. The meeting rooms may be used by for-profit organizations but buying/selling, commercial transactions, or other exchange of goods is prohibited. Meeting rooms may not be used for private social gatherings such as showers, birthday parties, etc.
7. Fees or admission/participation charges are not allowed.
8. Use of a meeting room does not constitute endorsement of the beliefs, viewpoints, policies, or affiliations of the user by the library board or staff.
9. All organizations must comply with all relevant state and local ordinances to include all licensing and copyright requirements in regards to program content. Failure to comply with said ordinances and requirements will result in suspension of meeting room privileges.
1. The room must be left in a neat and orderly condition. Furniture must be returned to its original arrangement. Charges for damage beyond normal wear will be assessed to the group that had the booking at the time of the damage.
2. Adult supervision (18+) must be provided during the entire time of contracted use. Library staff cannot provide childcare services for the children accompanying adults who are using the meeting rooms.
3. The library assumes no responsibility or liability for accidents, injury, or loss of personal property in the library or the meeting room.
4. Smoking, alcohol consumption, open flames, and animals with the exception of service animals on library property are prohibited.
5. Refreshments may be served but cooking is prohibited. Groups serving food are responsible for cleanup.
6. Signs may be posted at the door to the meeting room indicating that the group is meeting there. Signs may not be posted anywhere else throughout the library indicating a meeting is planned or in process.
7. A group may not use the library's address as its address nor may they keep belongings at the library.
8. Library staff will not accept calls or relay messages to people attending meetings except in case of emergencies.
9. Any group with two or more consecutive no show’s without notifying the Library may result in suspension of future meeting room use.
10. Failure to abide by these rules may result in suspension of meeting room privileges.
Community Room Fees (Max capacity 50-100 depending on location)
City of Fargo; Fargo Senior Programs; Fargo Public Library-affiliated groups; book groups; student groups; nonprofit groups
$100 per use per day
Walk in’s not permitted
Conference Room Fees (Max capacity 15-20 depending on location)
All groups, advance booking & walk in if available
Equipment Fees (all rooms)
Use of projection screen, lectern, prep kitchen, folding tables, chairs, wireless internet, whiteboard
$20 per use per day
Technology utilization (laptop, projector, TV, wireless microphone, etc.)
Technology utilization for City of Fargo; Fargo Senior Programs; Fargo Public Library-affiliated groups
No Technology Available
Dr. James Carlson Library
Community Room (Capacity 70)
Christianson Conference Room (Capacity 15)
Community Room (Capacity 100)
Dawson Conference Room (Capacity 15)
Fercho Conference Room (Capacity 20)
Community Room (Capacity 50)