2019 City of Fargo Pet Licenses are Now Available!
All pet licenses sold will be a 2019 license and will be valid from the date of issuance through the end of 2019.
Fargo city ordinances require that all cats and dogs be licensed, even those who remain indoors at all times. A license costs $5.00 per year. You can purchase a license at select Fargo veterinary hospitals, the Fargo City Animal Pound or Fargo City Hall (Auditor's Office). Some veterinary hospitals add a processing fee to the cost of the license; there is no fee added if you buy your license at City Hall. In order to receive a license, you will need to show proof that your animal's rabies vaccination is current.
When you license your cat or dog, you will receive a licensing tag for the pet. Both the licensing tag and the rabies tag should be worn by your animal at all times.
Benefits of Licensing Your Pet
- You will not be subject to a $60 fine for failure to license your dog or cat.
- If your animal has a current City license, you will not have to pay a $25 penalty if it is ever taken to the pound (you will still be responsible for the $35 impound fee and boarding fees).
- If your animal is wearing a current City license, community service officers will try to return it to you before taking it to the pound.
Apply For A Pet License
- Licenses can be purchased online by using the licensing portal. You must be able to attach a copy of the animal's current rabies vaccination form in order to obtain a license online.
- Licenses may also be purchased in person or by agent at Fargo City Hall, 225 4th Street North. You will need to bring a copy of the animal's current rabies vaccination form.
- Chicken licenses are now available for a cost of $10.00. Call 701.241.1324 for details or visit the Auditor's Office at Fargo City Hall, 225 4th Street North.