Accessibility Criteria & Signage
Accessible Parking Rules
Any facility offering parking for employees or visitors must provide accessible parking for individuals with disabilities. An accessible parking space consists of a vehicle space with proper signage, and a blue-striped access aisle. Learn more about accessible parking rules and resources from the information below.
Sign Installation & Paint Responsibility
The City of Fargo will install accessibility parking signs and paint the parking spot for city right-of-way on the street. If the the area where a sign or paint needs to be placed is a city owned parking lot, Interstate Parking will be able to assist with the services needed.
Privately owned parking lots require the business owner to install the accessibility parking sign(s) as well as denote the parking space(s) with blue paint. View the additional information section below to learn more about area vendors able to assist and the requirements for accessible parking spots.
Contacts & Questions
For more information and to speak with someone about accessibility signs or regulations, please review the following options:
- To request an accessibility parking sign on city-owned property, contact the Engineering Department by email or call 701.241.1545.
- To learn more about ADA compliance for accessibility, please contact the ADA Coordinator, Fargo Buildings and Grounds, at 701.241.1480. Also contact Jerry Christiansen at Freedom Resources, 701.478.0459, for more information. There is no charge for consultations; a nominal fee will be charged for meeting on-site or items requiring extensive research.
- If the business property is not city-owned, contact a local sign company to assist with sign installation and parking lot paint. View a list of local companies in the Accessible Parking Requirements Checklist for Fargo Businesses (PDF).
- Additional Accessible Parking Information
- ADA & North Dakota Accessibility Parking Requirements - FM Area Mayors Committee
- ADA & Minnesota Accessibility Parking Requirements - FM Area Mayors Committee