Special assessments are different than property taxes. They are the method the city uses to pay for infrastructure improvements that benefit properties, such as water main replacement and flood protection projects. The cost of these projects is divided among properties that benefit from them.
The authority and guidance for using special assessment as a method of financing is established in Chapter 40 of the North Dakota Century Code (sections 22-27).
Not all city projects are paid for in this way; some are funded through the City's general revenue fund or general obligation bonds.
For more information about special assessments, review the links at left or contact the City of Fargo Engineering Office: Special Assessment Division by calling 701.241.1326 or send an email.
- www.FargoParcels.com shows assessments that apply to specific properties. Type in part or all of the address to view the information.
- Learn more about the Special Assessment Assistance Program available.
- For parcel number, front footage, square footage, uncertified balance remaining, annual installment (listed on last tax statement), work complete (pending approval), work in progress (estimated) or payoff amount use the online Special Assessment Form.
- Payments can be made with cash, check or credit card. View the Special Assessments Payment page for more information.
- View the payoff amount for a special assessment balance by using the online Special Assessment Payoff Amount Request Form.