Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Historic Properties
The U.S. Secretary of the Interior has developed a set of standards to guide the treatment of historic properties. The standards address the technical and philosophical aspects of historic rehabilitation, the tenets of preservation and restoration, and issues related to compatibility on a district-wide level.
- 10 Principles of the Secretary's Standards for Rehabilitation
- Illustrated version of the Secretary's Standards for Rehabilitation
- How to avoid incompatible work on historic storefronts
- Guidelines for Preserving, Rehabilitating, Restoring, and Reconstructing Historic Buildings
- Technical Preservation Briefs - How-to publications on specific restoration topics.
- Use of Substitute Materials on Historic Building Exteriors
- Rehabilitating Historic Storefronts
- Architectural Character: identifying the Visual Aspects of Historic Buildings as an Aid to Preserving Their Character
Information found at the links above is maintained by the National Park Service.