Native American Commission
The mission of the Fargo Native American Commission (NAC) is to work together to strengthen the Native American community to promote understanding, recognition, and respect for cultures and to enrich the community as a whole. The NAC and its members are committed to a shared vision that nurtures Native American culture and values.
The NAC assists in funding events that fit within its mission. For more information about Native American Commission Sponsorships or to apply for funding, please contact the Fargo Planning and Development Department or call us at 701.241.1474.
The Native American Commission was established by Resolution on June 19, 2006 as an advisory group to the City Commission. Efforts of the Committee are to be coordinated with the work of the Community Development Committee and the Human Relations Commission of the City.
The purpose of the NAC is to develop recommendations for City participation in Native American projects/programs; inventory local Native American cultural assets; evaluate existing information on local Native American assets and needs; and provide oversight to City-funded Native American projects/programs/facilities.
The Native American Commission's Goals are:
- Define the funding priorities for Native American programs and services.
- Determine the services that might be provided by a facility to serve the Native American community.
- Recommend an effective anti-racism education model and facilitate city and community participation in training.
The Native American Commission's Guiding Values are:
- Respect for one another
- Good stewardship of resources, funds, land, water, air, natural resources, people - especially children
- Family togetherness/healing
- Fostering relationships - past, present and future
- Commitment to service, accountability and integrity
- Healthy lifestyles, choices, and community/personal responsibility
Liaison to the City's Executive Office
Commissioner John Strand is the liaison to the Native American Commission, the Human Relations Commission, and LGBTQ community.
Meeting Schedule & Location
Native American Commission meetings are broadcast live on cable channel TV Fargo 56 on the first Thursday of each month at 12:00 p.m. in the City Commission Room at 200 3rd Street North and can be seen live by video stream at www.FargoND.gov/streaming. They are rebroadcast each Tuesday at 8 p.m. and Thursday at 5 p.m.