Starting a Business
Plan to Succeed
Create a strong business plan to make sure you’re ready for anything as you start your business. Business planning, technical assistance and small business counseling services are offered online and in person through organizations like the North Dakota Small Business Development Center in Fargo.
Check out the following links for advice, where to find help and how to plug in to Fargo’s vibrant startup scene:
- Sample Business Plans
- Build Your Own Business Plan
- North Dakota Small Business Development Center
- Small Business Development Center (SBDCNET)
- US Small Business Administration
- A Beginner’s Guide to Fargo’s Startup Scene
- Create a wish list for equipment and building features
- Make a map of areas you’re interested in and compare it with the Economic Census Marketing Data
- Size up the potential clientele and competition
- Visit the ND Small Business Development Center for more help picking the perfect location
Start Up in a Day!
Make it official by registering your business and getting your licenses and permits in order!
- Register your business in North Dakota
- Obtain a Federal Tax ID
*Sole proprietors who will not be hiring employees can use their Social Security number as an employer ID.
- Get the licenses you need
- Check on sales tax requirements in North Dakota
- Check on U.S. patent and trademark protections if necessary
- Develop your floor plan and get your permits in order
You’re in Business!