Project: 7th Avenue North Improvements
By the end of this weekend, contractors for the City of Fargo’s 7th Avenue North road and watermain improvement project will reopen the Broadway and 7th Avenue North intersection. Once the intersection is fully reopened to north and south traffic, crews will begin setting up traffic control to close the 4th Street and 7th Avenue North intersection.
Beginning early morning Sunday, July 12, motorists can expect the following traffic control to be in place:
- Broadway intersection open to north, south, and west traffic
- 7th Avenue North closed between east of Broadway to the alley west of 2nd Street North, including the 4th Street intersection
- Pedestrian access maintained on the north side of the roadway with north/south crossings at the intersections of Broadway and 2nd Street North
- Traffic will be detoured:
- 7th Avenue North traffic will be detoured via Broadway to 6th Avenue North to 2nd Street North
- 4th Street North traffic will be detoured via 6th Avenue North to Broadway to 9th Avenue North
Access within the work zone will be restricted, but the contractor will ensure business and residential access is maintained via alternate routes and parking lots as much as possible.
Over the weekend, crews will begin mainline paving operations for eastbound 7th Avenue North between east of Broadway to the alley west of 2nd Street North, excluding the 4th Street intersection.
Project work may overlap, and multiple phases may be under construction at the same time. Construction will be split into the following phases:
- Phase 1: 7th Avenue North from Broadway to the alley west of 2nd Street
- Phase 1A - Broadway and 7th Avenue intersection
- Phase 1B - 4th Street and 7th Avenue intersection
Phases 1A and 1B cannot be under construction at the same time but must be completed within the 110 days of starting Phase 1. The 2nd Street and 7th Avenue North intersection will remain open throughout the project with only minor work taking place in the southwest corner to install concrete in the boulevard.
The purpose of this project is to upgrade portions of the City’s infrastructure in this area including water main, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, pavement, curb and gutter, and traffic signals.
This stretch of roadway has aging pavement and underground utilities that have been subject to numerous unscheduled repairs through the years. The project will include up-sizing the water main on 7th Avenue North to 16" diameter pipe between 4th Street to Broadway. The up-sized pipe, in conjunction with various water tower upgrades, is a critical component in providing north Fargo with a reliable water supply.
Please slow down and watch for trucks entering and exiting the work area.
The project work should be complete by late September.