7th Avenue North Improvements (2nd St to Broadway)
Zone: NorthWhat zone am I?
Start: June 1, 2020
Estimated Completion: Late September 2020
First Traffic Impact Map
Early next week, contractors for the City of Fargo’s 7th Avenue North road and watermain improvement project will set up traffic control for the first traffic impact of project work.
Beginning Monday, June 1, at 7:00 a.m., motorists can expect the following traffic control to be in place:
- 7th Avenue North closed between west of Broadway to just west of 4th Street North, including the Broadway intersection
- Traffic detoured via 7th Street North to 6th Avenue North to 2nd Street North
- Pedestrian access maintained on the south side of the roadway with north/south crossings at the intersections of 4th Street North and west of Broadway
Construction activities include the removal and replacement of the existing water main, sanitary sewer repairs, upgrades to the storm sewer system, new asphalt pavement, new concrete pavement, new concrete curb and gutter, and new street lights.
An informational meeting was held Tuesday, February 25th, 2020, at 5:30 PM in the City Commission Room at City Hall, 225 4th Street North, Fargo. The meeting was recorded and can be viewed below. Additionally, the meeting video and a PDF of the presentation slides can be viewed via the Project Resources section located on the right side of this page.
February 25th, 2020 Public Information Meeting
The project will be constructed in phases to minimize local impacts as much as possible. However, through traffic on 7th Avenue North between 2nd Street and Broadway will be closed for the duration of the project.
Project work will be split into the following phases:
- Phase 1: 7th Avenue North from Broadway to the alley west of 2nd Street - Up to 110 Days allowed for this closure.
- Phase 1A - Broadway and 7th Ave Intersection – Up to 42 days allowed for this closure.
- Phase 1 B - 4th Street and 7th Avenue intersection – Up to 42 days allowed for this closure.
- Phases 1A and 1B cannot be under construction at the same time but must be completed within the 110 days of Phase 1.
- The 2nd Street and 7th Avenue North intersection will remain open throughout the project.
- 7th Avenue North traffic will be detoured to 6th Avenue North via 2nd & 7th Streets North.
- Broadway traffic will be detoured to 4th Street North via 6th & 9th Avenues North.
Construction is expected to begin in early June 2020 with reopening scheduled in late September.
This project will be funded through a combination of Sales Tax Funds, Waste Water Utility Funds, Water Utility Funds and Special Assessments.
- This stretch of roadway has aging pavement and underground utilities that have been subject to numerous unscheduled repairs through the years.
- The project will include up-sizing the water main on 7th Avenue North to 16" diameter pipe between 4th Street to Broadway. The up-sized pipe, in conjunction with various water tower upgrades, is a critical component in providing north Fargo with a reliable water supply.