Project: Main Avenue Reconstruction Project
Starting Monday, June 8, through Wednesday, June 10, the North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) and the City of Fargo contractors will temporary close 10th Street South under Main Avenue to traffic to safely install bird netting and roadway canopy under the bridge. The overnight closure will be in place each night from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
During the overnight work, motorists will be detoured and can expect the following traffic pattern:
- 10th Street South underpass fully closed to traffic
- Traffic detoured to 1st Avenue South to NP Avenue by use of Broadway
Drivers are reminded that Main Avenue remains closed to all traffic between east of University Drive to west of the 10th Street South underpass bridge as well as west of 8th Street South and Broadway, including the 8th Street intersection. Speeds are reduced to 25 mph where traffic control is present.
Local access is maintained to all the north side businesses located in the project zone by use of 1st Avenue South to adjacent side streets. Motorists can then cross north or south over Main Avenue via:
- 10th Street South (underpass frontage road, near the old McDonald’s)
- 11th Street South
The contractor can work on the project phases concurrently with restrictions on days for intersection work. Over the next weeks, motorists should expect additional reduced lanes or full roadway closures of Main Avenue as they move into the next phases of project work. The traffic impacts for the phase work will include:
- Main Avenue between 10th Street and 8th Street (fourth traffic impact): The remaining roadway of Main Avenue will be reconstructed west of 8th Street South intersection.
- 10th Street South underpass bridge (last traffic impact): The steel bridge deck under Main Avenue for the 10th Street South underpass will be replaced. There will be short-term lane closures on 10th Street South.
By late morning Saturday, June 6, crews will shift pedestrian access to the south side of Main Avenue between University Drive to west of the 10th Street South underpass bridge. Once access has been switched, crews will begin removals on the north sidewalk.
Next week, crews will complete all underground work between Broadway and 8th Street South. They will then begin to prep for concrete paving operations. Business access and pedestrian traffic will be maintained.
Drivers should plan to use the posted detour route to cross the Red River into Moorhead until project work is complete in mid-October. The posted detour route north of Main Avenue is 1st Avenue North and south of Main Avenue is 1st Avenue South between University Drive to 2nd Street South.
Pedestrian access to all businesses along Main Avenue is provided. The NDDOT and the City of Fargo urge motorists to always be attentive, drive with caution and never enter a road blocked with barriers or cones stating, “road closed.”
PUBLIC INFORMATION MEETINGS
There will not be in-person public information meetings held at this time. Regular project updates will be facilitated through Facebook LIVE videos through the start of the project season. Project staff will share more about the progress of the project work and be available to answer questions.
Virtual Meeting Details:
- WHEN: Biweekly, every other Thursday
- WHERE: NDDOT Fargo District Facebook page
- Video updates will be archived to be viewed at any time on the page