Main Avenue Reconstruction: University Drive to Broadway
Zone: DowntownWhat zone am I?
Start: April 13, 2020
Estimated Completion: Mid-October 2020
Motorists can expect the following traffic pattern:
- Main Avenue is open to local traffic between Broadway to west of 8th Street South as well as University Drive to west of the 10th Street underpass
- Main Avenue remains closed to traffic between west of 10th Street South underpass to 8th Street South
- Pedestrian and business access are maintained
- Speeds are reduced to 25 mph where traffic control is present
The City of Fargo and the North Dakota Department of Transportation will be reconstructing Main Avenue from University Drive to Broadway. This project provides for the replacement of the existing water main and sanitary sewer, installation of new storm sewer, traffic signals, street lighting, new sidewalk and roadway. This is the second phase of the overall reconstruction of Main Ave from the Red River to University Drive.
Crews are planning to work west to east toward Broadway. The contractor can work on the project phases concurrently with restrictions on days for intersection work. Over the next weeks, motorists should expect additional reduced lanes or full roadway closures of Main Avenue as they move into the next phases of project work. The traffic impacts for the phase work will include:
- University and Main Avenue intersection (second traffic impact): Intersection will remain open with lane reductions as northbound counterflow lane is built. This phase needs to be complete by early June 2020.
- Main Avenue between 8th Street to Broadway (third traffic impact): The intersection of 8th Street and Main Avenue will fully close to motorist for up to two months. Business access and pedestrian traffic will be maintained.
- Main Avenue between 10th Street to 8th Street (fourth traffic impact): The remaining roadway of Main Avenue will be reconstructed west of 8th Street South intersection.
- 10th Street South Underpass Bridge (last traffic impact): The steel bridge deck under Main Avenue for the 10th Street South underpass will be replaced. There will be short-term lane closures on 10th Street South.
Drivers should plan to use the posted detour route to cross the Red River into Moorhead until project work is complete in mid-October. The posted detour route north of Main Avenue is 1st Avenue North and south of Main Avenue is 1st Avenue South between University Drive to 2nd St S.
Stay current on detour routes, business access, and all other project updates by visiting FargoStreets.com, where you can sign up for project email notifications. You can also follow FargoStreets on Twitter (@FargoStreets) and Facebook for up-to-date road related information.
This year’s first traffic impact on Main Avenue began on Monday, April 13, at 7 a.m. between University Drive and 10th Street. The road is fully closed to traffic and detoured.
Construction will last until mid-October.
The project was bid in November of 2019, with a winning bid price of $11,514,801.74. Funding for the project will consist of Federal Highway Funds from the NDDOT’s Regional Highway System, Watermain Replacement Funds, Water Utility Funds, Sewer Utility Funds, Special Assessments and Sales Tax Funds
Main Avenue is an arterial street that services Fargo and is part of the NDDOT Regional Highway System. The existing street section is deteriorated and in need of replacement. The sewer and water main replacement portions of the project will replace deteriorated mains and service piping that will be located under the new street section. The addition of a counter-flow, north-bound lane on University Drive from Main Ave to NP Ave will allow an additional downtown access point that bypasses the railroad tracks.