Project: 17th Street South Improvements
Beginning Tuesday, May 26, after 7 a.m., contractors plan to begin work on the next phase of the 17th Street South road and watermain improvement project. Crews will set up traffic control for the second phase of project work on 17th Street South between 21st Avenue to 25th Avenue South.
Work on 17th Street South will be divided into three sections to maintain residential access as much as possible. Crews will begin by closing the south section of the roadway only. Over the next few months crews will work their way north towards 21st Avenue South.
Once traffic control is in place, motorists can expect:
- South section of 17th Street South fully closed to traffic and access will be from the north at 21st Avenue South
- 25th Avenue South fully closed to traffic between 17th Street and 16th Street South
- Traffic will be detoured south via 18th Street South to 27th Avenue South, returning north to 25th Avenue South via to 15th Street South
Project work is progressing in phase one. Crews plan to reopen 25th Avenue South by the middle of next week.
Phase work may overlap, and multiple phases may be under construction at the same time. Project work will be split into the following phases:
- Phase One: 25th Avenue South between 18th Street to 16th Street South
- 25th Avenue South between 16th Street and 17th Street will be closed for a short duration of two weeks to accommodate storm sewer installation.
- Phase Two: 17th Street South between 21st Avenue to 25th Avenue South
- Work on 17th Street South will be divided into three sections to maintain residential access as much as possible.
- Phase Three: 25th Avenue South between 18th Street to 14th Street South
- Temporary lane closures will be in place during the mill and overlay portion of this project.
Pedestrian access will be maintained throughout each phase of project work. Access to some driveways will be restricted during construction activities. Side streets and avenues will need to be utilized during these times.
The purpose of this project is to upgrade portions of the City’s infrastructure in this area including water main, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, pavement, curb and gutter, sidewalks, and street lighting.
The reconstruction of the 17th Street South roadway is necessary due to the deterioration of the existing street section, which was installed in 1972 with street patching done throughout the years. A mill and overlay on 25th Avenue South will provide a new wearing surface as well as correct deficiencies which have appeared over time.
Please remember to slow down and watch for trucks entering and exiting the work area.
The project work should be complete by early October.