Statement of Concern
Procedure: Statement of Concern
People who would like to express their concern about an item in the collection, an exhibit, or a program at the Fargo Public Library are asked to follow this procedure in order that their concerns be duly noted and that the library will respond.
1. The individual who would like to file a statement may request a form from any of the public service desks or the administrative office. The form will be mailed or faxed if requested.
The form must be filled out in its entirety with the individual's name, address, and signature, and returned to the library director. Delivery in person, by mail or by fax is acceptable; e-mail is not. If the form is not completed, the library will take no action.
The library director will notify the individual in writing of receipt of the statement and the course of action to be taken.
2. If the statement is about a book or other material, the library director will obtain the item and locate as many reviews as possible.
3. The item and the reviews will be made available for the Statement of Concern Committee and appropriate department staff.
4. In the case of concern about program content or an exhibit, the item and reviews will be made available to the Programming Team and appropriate department staff.
5. All materials for which a Statement of Concern form has been submitted will remain available to the public until the library board completes its voting process.
6. Discussion of the item will take place at the next regularly scheduled meeting of the Statement of Concern Committee and appropriate department staff. The meeting will be open to the public.
7. The committee will make a determination based on their consideration of the work as a whole, the reviews, and their knowledge of the library collection and the community.
The library director will notify the individual and the library board of the committee's recommendation.
8. The library board will vote on the committee recommendation at their next regularly scheduled meeting. The board's vote will be final.
Approved by the Board of Directors: 12-16-1997;