The Fargo Police Department will conduct grant-funded distracted driving enforcement throughout the month of April for Distracted Driving Awareness Month.
In The City of Fargo, prohibited use of a wireless device and distracted driving carries a $200 fine. Drivers under the age of 18 are prohibited from using any electronic communications devices including cell phones. A violation carries a $20 fine and up to four points on a recipient’s driving record.
The Fargo Police Department encourages motorists to avoid distraction while driving with these five tips from the North Dakota Department of Transportation’s Vision Zero strategy:
- Silence your cell phone and turn off the vibration mechanism and notifications. The less you hear your phone, the less tempted you will be to respond while driving.
- Designate a texter. Ask your passenger to handle tasks such as texting, place a call or reprogramming your GPS.
- Ask family, friends and colleagues to respect your drive. Set cell phone boundaries and politely ask them not to contact you during the hours of your commute.
- Place your phone in the glove compartment or trunk.
- Download a distraction-free app on your mobile device.