Project: 52nd Avenue Reconstruction Project
This week contractors for the City of Fargo 52nd Avenue South improvement project will temporarily open Veterans Boulevard to north and south traffic for approximately two weeks to allow crews to begin asphalt removals, underground work and paving preparation through the intersection 53rd Street South.
Starting 12 p.m. Wednesday, July 17, weather permitting, crews will fully close the 53rd Street South intersection to traffic. This temporary closure will allow crews to pave 52nd Avenue South from west of the Drain 27 bridge to east of Veterans Blvd intersection with one paving operation.
Traffic control will not change for residential and business access to the west of Veterans Blvd. Drivers will continue to use the temporary bypass road at Veterans Blvd to access the mainline of 52nd Avenue South and travel west to 53rd Street South. An all way stop will be in place at the intersection to assist drivers.
After the closure, motorists will encounter the following access to businesses:
North 52nd Ave S business access:
- Veterans Blvd to 51st Street South to 53rd St S (the roundabout intersection just north of 52nd Ave S)
- Veterans Blvd temp access road, to mainline of 52nd Avenue to Rocking Horse Road
South 52nd Ave S business access:
- East loop: Through Veterans Blvd intersection to 53rd Ave S business loop
- West loop: Veterans Blvd temp access road, to mainline of 52nd Avenue to 53rd Ave S business loop
The next 52nd Avenue closure will be between west of Veterans Blvd through Rocking Horse Road. The phase will begin once access is restored through 63rd Street and Veterans Blvd intersections in a couple weeks. The east side of the work zone from Veterans Blvd to over Drain 27 is slated to open to one driving lane in each direction to 45th Street South intersection by mid-August. Both are weather and road condition permitting.
The mile and a half stretch of 52nd Ave S between 45th St S and 63rd St S improvement project will be spread over six-phases through October and completely reconstruct the rural two-lane roadway to an urban four-lane divided roadway with dedicated turn lanes.
Phase work will overlap or begin after specific phases are complete. Eastbound and westbound 52nd Ave S will be reconstructed in multiple phases between:
- East side of Veterans Blvd to west of 45th St S (complete by mid-August)
- East of 63rd St S to west of Veterans Blvd (work to begin after mid-June)
- West of the 63rd St S intersection to east of McMahon Estates Circle (work to begin after mid-June)
**Please remember all schedules are tentative and weather dependent.