Project: 13th Avenue Reconstruction Project
As project work progresses for the 13th Avenue road reconstruction and infrastructure improvement project intermittent short-term intersection access changes will continue in Fargo and West Fargo.
The timing of these access changes will be weather dependent, and schedules may vary due to longer concrete cure time in the cooler temperatures.
Current intersection closures include:
- 12th Street East and 13th Avenue intersection (West Fargo): Closed through Saturday, October 20
- Crews have completed the last concrete pour needed through the intersection today. The intersection will reopen once new concrete has reached design strength, which is anticipated to be achieved by mid-day.
- 17th Street East and 13th Avenue intersection (West Fargo): Closed through Tuesday, October 23
- Crews have completed paving the westbound lanes through the intersection and will complete paving the remaining areas of the intersection Thursday and Friday. The intersection will reopen once new concrete has reached design strength.
Next access changes include:
- 14th Street East and 13th Avenue intersection (West Fargo): Slated to close Thursday, October 18 by 7 a.m.
- Crews will be working to complete underground and dirt work, along with concrete paving through the intersection over the next two weeks. The intersection will reopen once work is complete and the new concrete has reached design strength.
The anticipated overlap of the intersections of 12th Street East and 14th Street East being closed together is three days. This will allow crews to complete paving operations through the 14th street intersection in one complete pass, which will ultimately provide a better driving surface to motorists. Drivers are encouraged to use the north business access off 9th Street East or 17th Street East or at 16th Street East intersection for continued access to north side businesses.
Over the next week crews will continue mainline paving operations for the new westbound driving lanes from 14th Street East to 12th Street East in West Fargo.
Mid to late next week crews plan to shift a portion of the traffic control into the next phase of work on the east side of the project limits. From west of 45th Street South to east of 16th Street East intersections, traffic will no longer travel side-by-side for a portion of the project. Westbound drivers will shift to the new north side roadway. Eastbound drivers will remain on the south side of the roadway throughout the entire project limits. One driving lane plus dedicated left turn lane will remain open in each direction.
Lane widths are reduced to a maximum of 11 feet throughout the project during this phase. Trucks and other large vehicles are encouraged to use alternate routes.
TRAFFIC CONTROL – Phase 3 will continue until the end of October
Work zone: 13th Avenue between 45th Street South in Fargo to 12th Street East in West Fargo
Traffic control: Motorist are carried side-by-side on the south side of the roadway
- One driving lane plus dedicated left turn lane each direction
- Access to surrounding side streets
- Business access is maintained
- North side of the roadway – 47th Street South to 12th Street East
- Sidewalks – North to south pedestrian crossing is at 9th or 45th Streets
- Intermittent intersection work:
- North side access of 12th, 14th, 16th, and 17th intersections
To access commerce or travel through the area, drivers are encouraged to use alternative routes for their east-west driving.
PROJECT PHASES – As the project progresses, there will be multiple shifts in traffic control. The anticipated phase schedule is:
- Phase 2 completion (Complete) – Early September
- Side-by-side traffic on north side of roadway
- Phase 3 completion – (Current) – End of October
- Side-by-side traffic on south side of roadway
- Phase 4 completion – Early November
- 45th Street intersection pavement repairs (Complete) – Approximately 3 weeks in June
- Project completion – Early November(100% traffic open)
**Please remember all schedules are tentative and weather dependent.