Project: I-94 & South University Drive Interchange Project
With most of the project work complete south of the Interstate 94 (I-94) bridge, contractors for the North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) Fargo District and City of Fargo Interstate 94 (I-94) and South University Drive interchange project will begin to remove traffic control through a portion of the work zone this weekend.
The removal of the south portion of traffic control will open additional turning lanes for interstate and South University Drive traffic by Saturday, August 18, including:
- I-94 ramp: additional left-turn lane will be restored on the I-94 eastbound off-ramp (southwest ramp) for northbound South University Drive travel
- South University Drive: northbound and southbound left-turns from South University Drive to 21st Avenue South will be restored
On Monday, August 20, contractors are planning to conduct an overnight interstate ramp closure. Weather permitting, contractors will close the westbound off-ramp from I-94 to South University Drive overnight from 8 p.m. – 6 a.m. to safely remove the existing overhead sign truss located across the driving lanes. The westbound I-94 off-ramp will reopen to traffic by the early morning commute on Tuesday, August 21.
Motorists will be routed to the next interchange at 25th Street South. The detour routes for westbound motorists to access South University Drive:
- North of the interchange – detoured via 25th Street South to 17th Avenue South to University Drive
- South of the interchange – detoured via 25th Street South to 32nd Avenue South to University Drive
All other interstate access onto to South University from I-94 remains open for use of the traveling public.
The active construction area is on the west side of South University Drive where crews have finished sanitary and storm installation on the mainline and started to grade the new roadway between 18th Avenue South to the I-94 bridge. While crews work in the sections crossing the west side business driveways, the open right-in/right-out access point will change to access South University Drive.
Crews are also working off-line on the completely new pedestrian underpass in the northwest quadrant of the interchange, slope projection under the bridge and traffic signal work.
As a reminder, turning movements out from the west side business driveways and 18th Avenue South intersection access changed with the head-to-head traffic shift to the east side of South University Drive.
18 TH AVENUE SOUTH AND SOUTH UNIVERSITY DRIVE TRAFFIC SIGNAL –
- Left-turns are restricted for both north and southbound traffic
- Northbound and southbound traffic can turn right
WEST SIDE BUSINESS DRIVEWAYS –
- One right-in/right-out access point to South University Drive from gas station and quick service restaurant. Driveway will move based on work.
- Northbound motorists are not able to cross over traffic and turn left into west side driveways
- Best route to access driveways is via side streets off 13th ½ Avenue South
- Closed on west side of South University Drive from 18th Avenue to under I-94
- Pedestrian detour east of South University Drive by use of 17th Avenue South to 9th Street South to use the Lincoln Tunnel under I-94 to 21st Avenue South.
CURRENT TRAFFIC CONTROL –
- Head-to-head traffic on east side of South University Drive
- Two lanes open to northbound traffic
- One lane open to southbound traffic
- Speeds reduced to 25 mph
Flaggers are present to assist with truck traffic moving in and out of the work zone. Motorists may experience brief delays. If an alternative route is available, motorists are encouraged to use these routes to help those traveling through or turning into driveways found in the work zone.
**Please remember all schedules are tentative and weather dependent.