Project: I-94 & South University Drive Interchange Project
Beginning Monday, July 23, at 7 p.m., weather permitting, contractors for the North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) Fargo District and City of Fargo Interstate 94 (I-94) and South University Drive interchange reconstruction project will reduce traffic to one lane in each direction. Motorists will be shifted head-to-head on the westside of the roadway to allow enough room for paving operations to occur from 18th Avenue South to the I-94 onramp. By Tuesday morning, once crews have finished paving traffic will return to two southbound lanes and one northbound lane.
Left turn lanes on South University Drive to access 21st Avenue South are temporarily closed and detoured.
- Northbound detour: Oak Manor Avenue South to 15th Street North to 21st Avenue South
- Southbound detour: 24th Avenue South to 11th Street South to 21st Avenue South
As a reminder, turning movements out from the west side business driveways and 18th Avenue S intersection access has changed with the head-to-head traffic shift.
18 TH AVENUE SOUTH AND SOUTH UNIVERSITY DRIVE TRAFFIC SIGNAL – The detoured single lane of eastbound traffic is slated to reopen by early next week, Tuesday July 24, weather permitting.
- Detour from eastbound 18th Avenue S: At South University Drive intersection turn left to travel north to 17th Avenue South then right on 17th Avenue to 11th Street South to 18th Avenue South
- Detour from northbound and southbound South University Drive: Turn left/right at 17th Avenue South to 11th Street South to 18th Avenue South
- Northbound South University Drive: All turning movements are restricted at 18th Avenue South during the intersection work
- Left-turns are restricted for both north and southbound traffic
- Southbound traffic can turn right to 18th Avenue South
WEST SIDE BUSINESS DRIVEWAYS –
- Access right-in/right-out to South University Drive
- Northbound motorists are not able to cross over traffic and turn left into west side driveways
- Best route to access driveways is via side streets off 13th ½ Avenue South
The sidewalk on the west side of South University Drive from 18th Avenue to under I-94 is closed to pedestrians as crews work on the northwest interchange quadrant. The detour for pedestrians is east of South University Drive by use of 17th Avenue South to 9th Street South to use the Lincoln Tunnel under I-94 to 21st Avenue South.
NEXT TRAFFIC SHIFT –
The reconstruction project work on the east side of South University will continue for the next one – two weeks to complete removals, underground and paving operations.
- Traffic will then shift to be carried on the east side of South University Drive on the new concrete roadway.
- Crews will begin reconstructing the west side of the roadway.
- Once complete, traffic will then shift to the outside of each side of South University Drive in their respective direction of travel to allow crews to work in the center of the roadway.
Flaggers are present to assist with truck traffic moving in and out of the work zone. Motorists may experience brief delays. If an alternative route is available, motorists are encouraged to use these routes to help those traveling through or turning into driveways found in the work zone. Speeds are reduced to 25 mph.