Asphalt Wear Course Project: 2017
Zone: SouthWhat zone am I?
Start: June 2017
Estimated Completion: Fall 2017
This project is part of the city’s annual infrastructure improvement efforts and impacts multiple, new development areas of Fargo each construction season. Consistent with standard City practice, the asphalt wearing course is not installed in areas of new construction under the original paving contract. This allows for a wear course to be installed after completion of an area’s housing/building construction. By installing the wear course at this time, we are able to correct deficiencies in the street caused by building construction activities and natural settlement.
Traffic will be maintained during construction, but there may be times when drivers will be delayed getting into or out of the affected neighborhoods. This work will be performed on streets and avenues in four areas of the city.
Under this project, the City will be milling & overlaying or installing the asphalt wear course on the following streets and avenues:
- Mill & Overlay 15th Avenue S from 42nd Street S to 45th Street S
- 44th Street S from 15th Avenue S to 17th Avenue S
- 34th Avenue S from 47th Street S to 50th Street S
- Chelsea Lane S from 47th Street S to 50th Street S
- 35th Avenue S from 47th Street S to 50th Street S
- Spencer Lane S from 47th Street S to 50th Street S
- 36th Avenue S from 45th Street S to 47th Street S
- 47th Street S from 33rd Avenue S to 36th Avenue S
- 49th Street S from 33rd Avenue S to 145’ south of Spencer Lane S
- 50th Street S from 34th Avenue S to Spencer Lane S
- Douglas Drive South
- Rose Creek Parkway S from 25th Street S to Drain #53
- 58th Court S
- 35th Street S from Maple Valley Drive S to 60th Avenue S
- Maple Valley Drive S from Autumn Drive S to 35th Street S
- Autumn Drive S from 60th Avenue S to Maple Valley Drive S
- 60th Avenue S from 36th Street S to Maple Valley Drive S
- 62nd Avenue S east of Maple Valley Drive S
The project bid was awarded early May. Construction began after that and continues throughout the season, when contractors can fit work into their schedules with other projects. All wear course improvements should be complete by fall.
The asphalt base in these sections was paved several years ago and is now in need of preventative maintenance. The installation of the wearing course will improve drainage and ride quality, ultimately extending the life of street in Fargo’s new developments. By installing the wear course at this time, we are able to correct deficiencies in the street caused by settlement and the activities associated with home construction.
This project is estimated to cost about $1.3 million, funded through special assessments and street rehabilitation funds.