Project: 52nd Avenue Reconstruction Project
This week contractors for City of Fargo 52nd Avenue South improvement project will begin the first phase of the roadway removals within the project limits.
Starting today, Monday, March 25, 52nd Avenue is closed to thru-traffic from west of the 45th Street South intersection to the active work zone at the bridge through mid-August. The full roadway closure is necessary to begin milling the roadway surface off and assist in thawing the underground in this stretch.
After the traffic control is in place, motorists will encounter the following access:
- Full-road between west of 45th Street South to east of 53rd Street South
- 47th Street South intersection – 52nd Avenue South mainline access
- Full-road between 53rd Street South through 63rd Street South intersections
- 53rd Street South intersection – 52nd Avenue South mainline and business access
Motorists are encouraged to add extra time to their travel plans through the area during peak hours. Speeds are reduced near the school on Veterans Boulevard and an all way stop was added by city at 44th Avenue South and 53rd Street South intersection.
Neighborhood roadways should be limited to local traffic only. Motorists wishing to continue travel on 52nd Avenue South are encouraged to use other major arterial routes on either side of the bridge:
- West: 45th Street South to 40th Avenue South to Veterans Boulevard
- West: 52nd Avenue South to Sheyenne Street (until Segment 3 work starts in April)
- East: Veterans Boulevard to 40th Avenue South to 45th Street South
Last week crews formed and poured the first concrete bridge piers for one of the new bridges over the Drain 27. The next 52nd Avenue closure will extend the work zone from west of the bridge to east of Veterans Boulevard intersection. Work is anticipated to begin in this area in early April, weather and road conditions permitting.
The mile and a half stretch of 52nd Avenue South between 45th Street South and 63rd Street South improvement project will be spread over six-phases through October and completely reconstruct the rural two-lane roadway to an urban four-lane divided roadway with dedicated turn lanes.
Phase work will overlap or begin after specific phases are complete in south Fargo. Eastbound and westbound 52nd Avenue South will be reconstructed in multiple phases between:
- East side of Veterans Boulevard to west of 45th Street South (complete by mid-August)
- East of 63rd Street South to west of Veterans Boulevard (work to begin after mid-June)
- West of the 63rd Street South intersection to east of McMahon Estates Circle (work to begin after mid-June)
Over the course of this project, adjacent work zones may impact suggested driving routes. This summer project work will occur in City of West Fargo, Sheyenne Street Segment Three (32nd Avenue South to 40th Avenue South), City of Horace County Highway 17/76th Avenue South intersection and additional City of Fargo flood mitigation project will construct a box culvert south of 52nd Avenue South across 63rd Street South.
**Please remember all schedules are tentative and weather dependent.