Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning Exams
The City of Fargo proctors the the State of North Dakota Reciprocity Exams for both Master and Journeyman HVAC licenses. A successfully completed exam is valid in all participating jurisdictions within the State of North Dakota. However, a mechanical, fuel gas, or dual license must be obtained in each jurisdiction employed.
Please note: An exam fee is separate than a license fee.
Exams are offered twice per year in a classroom setting or on an individual basis by appointment at 701.241.1561.
The City of Fargo offers the journeyman mechanical exam and the journeyman fuel gas exam. Journeyman exam applicants must submit proof of at least three years of practical experience on company letterhead (through related schooling, working in the trade, or a combination of the two) along with an exam application, and payment on the day of the scheduled exam.
The fees for the journeyman exams are as follows:
- $40 for both exams if taken on same day.
- $40 per exam if taken on separate days.
The City of Fargo offers the master mechanical exam and the master fuel gas exam. Master exam applicants must submit proof of at least three years of journeyman experience and two years of practical experience for a total of five years' experience on company letterhead along with an exam application, and payment on the day of the scheduled exam.
The fees for the master exams are as follows:
- $125 for both exams if taken on the same day.
- $125 for each exam if taken on separate days.
Additional Exam Information
- Exams are open book. The City of Fargo does not provide or sell code books. Code books can be purchased through either the International Code Council or Barnes and Noble.
As of January 1, 2020, the exams will be based solely off of the 2018 code books:
2018 International Mechanical Code (IMC) Item: 3300S18
2018 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC) Item: 3600ST1
- Each exam is allowed four hours for completion.
- Cell phones must be handed in to the front desk before beginning an exam.
- Upon test failure, three months must expire before an applicant will be eligible for a retest.
To view a current list of people who have passed the journeyman and/or master reciprocity exams, please visit the North Dakota Building Official Association website.