Police Advisory & Oversight Board
The City of Fargo is soliciting Statements of Interest from community members who desire to serve on the Police Advisory & Oversight Board. Community members will be selected to serve among other committee members from various entities. If interested in being a member of the board, please complete a Statement of Interest form found below or submit a written Statement of Interest to City Commission Office, Fargo City Hall, 225 4th St N, Fargo, ND 58102.
The application review process will begin on January 27, 2022 and will remain open until all positions on the board have been filled.
Please be aware that finalists of the applicant pool are subject to background checks prior to serving on the board.
North Dakota Open Records Notice
Please be advised that non-exempt information provided within this form is subject to North Dakota Open Records laws and is subject to release (email addresses and telephone numbers are not subject to release).
Public Meeting Notice
Please be advised that all meetings of Police Advisory & Oversight Board will be noticed, public meetings and will be broadcast, recorded and replayed on The City of Fargo’s public access TV channels, website and social media channels.
1. The Board shall consist of no more than seven (7) members appointed by the board of city commissioners. No more than one (1) member may have served in a former law enforcement role at any time;
2. Membership of the Board will reflect the diversity of the residents of The City of Fargo, including but not limited to ethnicity, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, disability, socio-economic and age; and
3. Board members selected shall be individuals with an interest in police and/or community relations.
Members of the Fargo Police Advisory and Oversight Board shall serve at the pleasure of the board of city commissioners and shall possess the following qualifications outlined in this ordinance to be appointed to the Board:
1. Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age;
2. Be a resident of The City of Fargo;
3. Not be employed by The City of Fargo or be the immediate family member of an employee of The City of Fargo;
4. Not be a member of or the immediate family member of any member of the Fargo board of city commissioners;
5. Be a citizen of the United States;
6. Have no pending criminal charges in any local, state, or federal jurisdiction or court of law;
7. May not have a conviction for any of the following offenses:
a. Possession of controlled substances;
b. Battery or resist of a law enforcement officer;
c. Crimes of dishonesty or false statements; or
d. Crimes of moral turpitude, which include charges of prostitution, patronizing a prostitute, promoting prostitution, sale of sexual relations, buying sexual relations, soliciting for immoral purposes, indecent exposure, lewd and lascivious behavior, sodomy, promoting sodomy for hire, patronizing a person offering sodomy for hire, sexual battery, loitering for the purposes of solicitation, indecent liberties with a child, incest, adultery, bigamy, promoting obscenity, promoting obscenity to minors, displaying material harmful to minors, and possession, sale or distribution of any illegal drug;
e. May not have been convicted of any felony; and
f. May not have been convicted of a misdemeanor domestic violence offense.
8. Is not registered as a sex offender with any state, county, or local government;
9. Is not an elected local, state, or federal public official or a candidate for any such office;
10. Is not a party or representative of a party presently making a claim against The City of Fargo for any action or inaction of an employee of The City of Fargo;
11. Is not a present law enforcement officer or the immediate family member of any such law enforcement officer;
12. Has not served in a law enforcement role in the 5 years proceeding appointment to the Board;
13. Has not expressed views or acted in such a manner as to demonstrate bias clearly offensive or antithetical to the mission of the Board; and
14. Is not in arrears on any amounts due and owing The City of Fargo, or has not otherwise defaulted on an obligation due The City of Fargo.
All applicants for the Board shall be required to submit to a criminal background check in order to verify qualifications are met prior to appointment to the Board. In addition to the above qualifications, all applicants (or members, where applicable) for appointment and continued membership on the Board must participate in Department provided training of up to 40 hours upon appointment or within three (3) months of appointment by the board of city commissioners, and on an as-needed basis while serving on the Board.
If people are interested in applying and don’t have Internet access, please contact the City Commission offices at 701.241.1310 to make arrangements.
Office Hours (Monday — Friday, 7:45 a.m. — 4:30 p.m.)