The FARGODOME is a public facility and is governed by a group of city peers. Among other things, the Fargo Dome Authority has the following powers:
- To construct, maintain, and manage the FARGODOME
- To adopt an annual budget, which shall be subject to approval of the Fargo City Commission
- To purchase and sell supplies, goods and equipment as may be necessary for the operation of the FARGODOME
- To execute such contracts and other instruments as may be necessary in the construction, maintenance and operation of the FARGODOME
- To acquire any and all property which may be necessary for the construction, maintenance and operation of the FARGODOME
- To establish rules and regulations for the rental and operation of the FARGODOME
FARGODOME Authority Timeline
The Fargo Dome Authority is comprised of seven members appointed by the City Commission for four-year terms voluntarily, without compensation. Nominations include members from the City of Fargo (2), NDSU Administration (2), the Fargo Park Board (1), the Fargo School Board (1) and the Cass County Commission (1).
In 1988 petitions were filed with the City “to Amend the Home Rule Charter of the City of Fargo, North Dakota to Authorize a Retail Sales and Use Tax to Construct a Multi-Purpose Dome Facility” and the vote on the Home Rule Charter Amendment passed at the December 6, 1988 Special Election. The petition provided that the construction, maintenance and operation of the facility would be under the control of a dome authority consisting of seven members appointed for staggered four-year terms by the Board of City Commissioners as follows: 1 from a list of 2 submitted by the Board of Education, 1 from a list of 2 submitted by the Park District, 1 from a list of 2 submitted by the Cass County Commission, 2 from a list of 4 submitted by the President of the NDSU and 2 from nominees from the City Commission.
Chapter 34 of the Fargo Municipal Code dealing with the Fargo Dome Authority was adopted on March 13, 1989. The Ordinance states that all members must be residents of the City of Fargo, with the exception that Cass County’s representative must be a resident of Cass County.
Specific powers of the Authority are listed under 34-0105.