Zone: Downtown, South
Project: 4th Street South Road & Water Main Improvement Project
Beginning Thursday, November 1, contractors for the City of Fargo 4th Street South Road and Water Main Improvement project will temporarily close the 4th Street and 10th Avenue South intersection to expedite concrete paving. During the week-long closure, residential access for east of the intersection will remain by use of a temporary gravel access road from 4th Street South. By fully closing the intersection, crews will pave the north and south sections and complete the curb and gutter in one pave through the area.
4th Street South remains closed to thru traffic between 11th Avenue South to 6th Avenue South. A single through lane for an east and west crossing of 4th Street South between 8th - 9th Avenues South will continue to be maintained. The intersection of 6th Avenue South and 4th Street South are open to traffic, area businesses and park access.
Crews have completed paving operations on the east side of 4th Street and through the intersections of 7th Avenue and 8th Avenue this week. Weather permitting, crews will continue paving operations next week on the west side of 4th Street, starting north and moving south from 6th Avenue South to 11th Avenue South as well as complete the north half of 9th Avenue intersection.
The project work is split into seven overlapping phases:
- Phase One: (Completed) 6th Avenue South halfway between 4th Street to 7th Street South
- Phase Two: (Completed) 4th Street from 13th Avenue South through 11th Avenue South, including work on 13th Avenue South to the west of 4th Street and work on 11th Avenue South east of 4th Street
- Phase Three: (Current) 4th Street from 11th Avenue South to halfway between 9th Avenue South and 8th Avenue South
- Phase Four: (Completed) 10th Avenue South from 4th Street to the east
- Phase Five: (Current) 4th Street from half way between 9th Avenue South and 8th Avenue South to 6th Avenue South
- Phase Six: (Completed) 4th Street from 6th Avenue South to middle of Prairie St. Johns parking lot
- Phase Seven: (Completed, street light work is ongoing) 4th Street from the middle of Prairie St. Johns parking lot to 2nd Street
The purpose of this project is to upgrade portions of the City’s infrastructure in this area including water main, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, pavement, curb and gutter, street lighting and the traffic signal located at the intersection of 4th Street South and 8th Avenue South.
In addition, driveway approaches and sidewalks on 4th Street South will be replaced. The roadway on 4th Street South will be reconfigured to accommodate bicycle lanes along the curbs.
Speeds are reduced to 25 mph through both work zones. Please slow down and watch for trucks entering and exiting the work area.
The project work should be complete by mid-November.
Adjacent project: Area residents should be mindful of other road or infrastructure improvement projects happening in this neighborhood that may impact their routes, including:
- South of 13th Avenue South: work continues at the new city water treatment plant. Currently 4th Street South is closed for one block between 13th Avenue South and 14th Avenue South.