Basic Property Improvement Rules
The city offers property tax exemptions for people who remodel older homes, a housing rehab program that provides low-interest financing for renovation projects, and an Inspections Department that can help you determine how and when the building code applies to work you may do on your home.
If you are going to do any digging in your yard, you must call North Dakota One-Call at 1.800.795.0555 to locate any buried lines. Call at least 48 hours in advance to give them an opportunity to mark your lot.
The following items may also be helpful to anyone thinking about property maintenance:
- Starting or Ending Utility Services
- Dealing with mold: Detailed information from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Do I need a building permit?
- How do I obtain a building permit?
- Preparing for demolition
- Historic Overlay Districts
- Remodeling Property Tax Exemption
- Dealing with asbestos (or call the North Dakota Department of Health Fargo Field Office, Jane Kangas, at 701.476.4122 or send an email.
- Challenges Facing Neighborhoods including tall grass and junk accumulation
- Consumer energy information: energy-saving techniques and more from the U.S. Department of Energy
Quick Fact: The City of Fargo owns the boulevard, but the property owner is responsible for maintaining it.