4th Street South Road & Water Main Improvement Project
Zone: Downtown, SouthWhat zone am I?
Start: May 21st
Estimated Completion: Mid-October
Project Overview Map
This project is part of the City’s annual infrastructure improvement efforts. The purpose of this project is to upgrade portions of the City’s infrastructure in this area including water main, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, paving, bike lanes, street lighting and the traffic signals located at the intersection of 4th Street South and 8th Avenue South.
In addition, the roadway on 4th Street South will be reconfigured to accommodate bicycle lanes along the curbs.
The older of the 4th Street water main was installed in 1921 with the remainder in 1938. The pavement from 9th Avenue to the south is 64 years old and the pavement north of 9th Avenue is 37 years old. This project will install needed upgrades and tie-ins to the City’s infrastructure and will correct deficiencies on the streets that have appeared over time. The finished product will provide better water and sewer distribution, a better constructed roadway, and improved roadway lighting.
Portions of 4th Street South will close during construction to accommodate work during each of these phases:
- Phase One: 6th Avenue South halfway between 4th Street to 7th Street South
- Phase Two: 4th Street from 13th Avenue South through 11th Avenue South, including work on 13th Avenue South to the west of 4th Street and work on 11th Avenue Ssouth east of 4th Street
- Phase Three: 4th Street from 11th Avenue South to half way between 9th Avenue South and 8th Avenue South
- Phase Four: 10th Avenue South from 4th Street to the east
- Phase Five: 4th Street from half way between 9th Avenue South and 8th Avenue South to 6th Avenue South
- Phase Six: 4th Street from 6th Avenue South to Dike West parking lot entrance
- Phase Seven: 4th Street from Dike West parking lot entrance to 2nd Street
A northbound detour route is in place from west on 5th Street to North on 10th Street to Main Avenue.
Construction began the week of May 21, 2018. Work is slated to be complete by Mid-October.
The project will be paid for by:
- Infrastructure funds (sanitary, water and flood)
- Sales tax
- Special assessments
Area residents should be mindful of other road or infrastructure improvement projects happening in this neighborhood that may impact their routes, including:
- South of 13th Avenue South: work continues at the new city wastewater treatment plant. Currently 4th Street South is closed for one block between 13th Avenue South and 14th Avenue South.