Project: I-94 & South University Drive Interchange Project
Early next week contractors for the North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) Fargo District and City of Fargo Interstate 94 (I-94) and South University Drive interchange project will begin the second to last phase of project work in south Fargo.
Monday, September 24, crews will open two driving lanes in each direction in the afternoon to increase traffic movements through the work zone. With the traffic shift, crews will work to finish the center median and turn lanes. Depending on project work, traffic will shift from being carried on the two outside or two inside driving lanes in each direction.
For drivers and pedestrians the following will remain for both directions through the project limits:
- No left-turns at 18th Avenue South intersection
- Sidewalks are closed for use
- Turning movements out of the west side business driveways is right-in/right-out only
- Northbound traffic should access west side businesses via 18th Avenue South intersection to 13th ½ Street South
Crews are also working on the grading and paving the new westbound on-ramp, sidewalk to connect to new pedestrian underpass in the northwest quadrant of the interchange and traffic signal work. The new permanent traffic signals are already in-use south of the I-94 interchange
UPCOMING TRAFFIC CONTROL CHANGES –
Toward the end of September or beginning of October, contractors are planning to conduct an overnight interstate ramp closure on the westbound off-ramp from I-94 to South University Drive.
CURRENT TRAFFIC CONTROL – Through Monday September 24
- Driving lanes carried on east side of South University Drive
- Two lanes open to northbound traffic
- One lane open to southbound traffic
- Speeds reduced to 25 mph
WORK ZONE ACCESS –
18 TH AVENUE S AND SOUTH UNIVERSITY DRIVE TRAFFIC SIGNAL –
- Left-turns are restricted for both northbound and southbound traffic
- Northbound and southbound traffic can turn right
WEST SIDE BUSINESS DRIVEWAYS –
- One right-in/right-out access point to South University Drive from gas station and quick service restaurant. Driveway will move based on work.
- Northbound motorists are not able to cross over traffic and turn left into west side driveways
- Best route to access driveways is via side streets off 13th ½ Street South
- Closed on west side of South University Drive from 18th Avenue to under I-94
- Pedestrian detour east of South University Drive by use of 17th Avenue South to 9th Street South to use the Lincoln Tunnel under I-94 to 21st Avenue South.
SAFETY REMINDERS –
- Flaggers are present to assist with truck traffic moving in and out of the work zone.
- Motorists may experience brief delays in the project limits. If an alternative route is available motorists are encouraged to use these routes to help those traveling through or turning into driveways found in the work zone.
**Please remember all schedules are tentative and weather dependent.