I-94 & South University Drive Interchange Improvement Project
Zone: SouthWhat zone am I?
Start: May 2018
Estimated Completion: November 2018
I-94 and University Interchange Improvement Project
Crews have opened six driving lanes on South University Drive from 17th Avenue South to underneath the interchange to 21st Avenue South in both directions.
Sidewalks remain closed on the west side of South University Drive from 18th Avenue to under I-94 bridge until the shared-use path is complete on the northwest side of the interchange.
The City of Fargo along with the NDDOT is overseeing the complete reconstruction of I-94 and University Drive interchange, updates to traffic signals used by interstate traffic and half mile of University Drive roadway. The project will reconnect and straighten out the interstate ramps, lengthen the turn lanes and create access control to help with better traffic flow through the area. University Drive will be three-driving lanes plus interstate turning lanes in each direction.
The new interchange design will create multimodal separation, so cars and pedestrians will have separation. Safety improvements will increase the interest in use of the interchange and reduce conflict points. There will be one driveway consolidated in the project work, otherwise all other business/access driveways will remain on University Drive.
- Better accommodate peak hour traffic through the interchange
- Safety improvements for conflict points and turning movements
- Improve pavement condition and storm drainage
- Help alleviate unnecessary traffic movements with addition of medians to cross traffic
- Medians will be installed to control left turning movements and minimize conflict points
- Shared-use path under the interstate ramp on the northwest side
University Drive and I-94 remain open with reduced driving lanes in both directions of travel on each of the roadways.
Keeping traffic moving through the work zone is the goal of the traffic control design across four phases of project work.
- First phase: Remove curb and gutter and install temporary pavement in the median. Maintain two lanes of traffic each direction.
- Second phase: Reconstruct east half while maintaining two lanes of traffic in each direction. There will be short periods when traffic is restricted to one lane.
- Third phase: Reconstruct west half while maintaining two lanes of traffic. There will be short periods when traffic is restricted to one lane.
- Fourth phase: Construct median with two lanes each direction.
Work on the south side of interstate will be completed as resources allow and the pedestrian underpass will be built during multiple phases of the project.
Project work started mid-May. Project completion date is mid-September.
NDDOT is funding the project with a majority of federal and state funds. The City of Fargo has participating items for infrastructure improvements.
Project cost is $4.9 Million:
- Federal: $4.1 Million
- State: $0.2 Million
- City: $0.6 Million