Project: 13th Avenue Reconstruction Project
On Saturday, November 10, weather permitting, contractors for 13th Avenue Road Reconstruction and Infrastructure Improvement Project plan to open 50th Street Southwest and 13th Avenue intersection to all traffic.
This is the last of the planned short-term intersection closures in the 13th Avenue work zone in Fargo and West Fargo.
This week the 47th Street South and 13th Avenue intersection opened, and crews are continuing to work on the final phase of the project to rebuild medians, curb and gutter, and decorative concrete. All mainline paving operations on 13th Avenue are complete through the project limits.
Traffic control remains on both sides of 13th Avenue in Fargo and West Fargo. In each direction, motorists encounter:
- Eastbound drivers will remain on the south side roadway
- Westbound drivers will remain on the north side roadway
- One outside driving lane plus dedicated left turn lane
Reduced intersection access (center of roadway):
- 50th Street Southwest and 13th Avenue intersection (Fargo): Opening Saturday, November 10
- While crew’s complete median work on 13th Avenue through this intersection traffic will be reduced to right in/right out access only. Northbound traffic will only be allowed to go east, and southbound traffic will only be allowed to go west.
TRAFFIC CONTROL – Phase 4 will continue until mid-November
Work zone: 13th Avenue between 45th Street South in Fargo to 12th Street East in West Fargo
Traffic control: Motorists are carried on the outside through lanes and remain on the respective side of travel.
- One driving lane plus dedicated left turn lane each direction
- All intersections have access to mainline
- Access to surrounding side streets
- Business access is maintained
- Inside driving lanes in both directions -- 45th Street South to 12th Street East
- Sidewalks – North to south pedestrian crossing is at 9th or 45th Streets
Lane widths are reduced to a maximum of 11 feet throughout the project during this phase. Trucks and other large vehicles are encouraged to use alternate routes.
To access commerce or travel through the area, drivers are encouraged to use alternative routes for their east-west driving.
PROJECT PHASES – As the project progresses, there will be multiple shifts in traffic control. The anticipated phase schedule is:
- Phase 2 completion (Complete) – Early September
- Side-by-side traffic on north side of roadway
- Phase 3 completion – (Complete) – End of October
- Side-by-side traffic on south side of roadway- west of 16th Street East
- Split traffic to the outside lanes of the roadway- east of 16th Street East
- Phase 4 completion – (Current) - Mid November
- 45th Street intersection pavement repairs (Complete) – Approximately 3 weeks in June
- Project completion – Mid November (100% traffic open)
The purpose of the project is to replace aging infrastructure, with a goal of improving both pedestrian and vehicular safety and increasing roadway capacity through the area.
**Please remember all schedules are tentative and weather dependent.