Project: 13th Avenue Reconstruction Project
By late evening tonight, Friday, June 22, contractors for the 13th Avenue Road Reconstruction and Infrastructure Improvement Project will reopen the 13th Avenue and 50th Street Southwest intersection on the south side of the roadway. All turning movements from the intersection will be restored.
Crews are currently working on the northwest quadrant in the intersection of 13th Avenue and 45th Street South. By the morning of Monday, June 25, traffic control will shift into the next phase in the center section of the intersection.
During the second phase of work, northbound drivers on 45th Street South will be reduced from two driving lanes to one driving lane and will not be able to turn left onto 13th Avenue. Eastbound 13th Avenue drivers will not be able to turn left to northbound 45th Street South. Drivers are encouraged to use alternative intersections to continue in these directions.
Also starting on Monday, the south side intersection of 48th Street South and 13th Avenue will have a temporary closure for access onto the mainline. The intersection will close for one week to drivers to allow crews to complete two paves plus allowing time for the concrete to achieve design strength.
Starting Tuesday, June 26, mainline paving operations will begin on south side of 13th Avenue between 45th Street to 48th Street South in Fargo. Underground crews will continue with installation of the new city utilities to the west of 17th Street East in West Fargo.
All intersections on the north side of the roadway remain open as crews continue with construction activity on the south side of the street for the next five to six weeks.
Motorists on 13th Avenue between 45th Street South in Fargo to 12th Street East in West Fargo, are carried head-to-head, plus turn lanes, on the north side of the street through the work zone.
ACCESS CHANGE – Friday, June 22
- LOCATION: Intersection of 50th Street Southwest and 13th Avenue –south side
- CHANGE: Access to 13th Avenue OPEN
- REOPENING: Friday, June 22 by late evening, weather permitting
- PROJECT WORK: Crews installed a new water main and storm sewer on the south side of the intersection. Motorists will be driving on gravel base until paving operations move through this intersection (week of July 2)
ACCESS CHANGE – Monday, June 25
- LOCATION: Intersection of 48th Street Southwest and 13th Avenue –south side
- CHANGE: Access to 13th Avenue CLOSED
- REOPENING: Monday, July 2 late evening, weather permitting
- PROJECT WORK: Crews will begin paving through the south side of the intersection.
INTERSECTION IMPROVEMENT WORK – Monday, June 25
- LOCATION: Intersection of 45th Street and 13th Avenue
- CHANGE: Phase 2 begins. Reduced lanes and restricted turning movements:
- Northbound drivers on 45th Street South reduced from two driving lanes to one driving lane
- Northbound drivers will not be able to turn left onto 13th Avenue
- Eastbound drivers on 13th Avenue will not be able to turn left onto 45th Street South
- DURATION: Three weeks
- PROJECT WORK: Crews will be replacing sections of existing pavement that has started to deteriorate with new concrete pavement to extend the overall life of the intersection.
TRAFFIC CONTROL – Phase 2, the current traffic phase will continue until late July
Work zone: 13th Avenue between 45th Street South in Fargo to 12th Street East in West Fargo
Traffic control: Motorist are carried side-by-side on the north side of the roadway
- One driving lane plus dedicated left turn lane each direction
- Access to surrounding side streets
- Business access is maintained
- Southside of the roadway
- Sidewalks: North to south pedestrian crossing is at 9th or 45th Streets.
- Intermittent intersection work: south side access of 14th, 16th, 17th, 50th and 48th intersections
To access commerce or travel through the area, drivers are encouraged to use alternative routes for their east-west driving on alternative area roads.
PROJECT PHASES – As the project progresses, there will be multiple shifts in traffic control. The anticipated phase schedule is:
- Phase 2 completion (Current) – late July
- Side-by-side traffic on north side of roadway
- Phase 3 completion – Middle of September
- Side-by-side traffic on south side of roadway
- Phase 4 completion – Middle of October
- 45th Street intersection pavement repairs (Current) – Approximately 3 weeks in June
- Project completion – Middle of October (100% traffic open)
The purpose of the project is to replace aging infrastructure, with a goal of improving both pedestrian and vehicular safety and increasing roadway capacity through the area.
**Please remember all schedules are tentative and weather dependent.