Project: 52nd Avenue Reconstruction Project
Over the next few weeks one of the major FargoStreets capital improvement project for 2019 will begin wrapping up project work for the year. Project work first began on March 1 with bridge work over Drain 27.
Ahead of evening rush hour, Friday, November 1, contractors for City of Fargo’s 52nd Avenue South roadway and infrastructure improvement project will open additional driving lanes for motorists to travel through the entire project limits. With remaining electrical work, a single lane will remain closed from Veterans Boulevard to west of 63rd Street South.
Motorist and pedestrians can expect the following access through the project limits in each direction:
- TWO LANES: east of Veterans Blvd to 45th Street South
- SINGLE LANE: west of Veterans Blvd through 63rd St S with remaining lanes opening in the next two weeks
- 4-WAY STOP: intersections of Veterans Blvd and 63rd St S until electrical work is complete and traffic signals are operational
- PEDESTRIAN CROSSINGS: 63rd St S, Veterans Blvd, and 45th St S intersections
- SPEED: 45th St S to Veterans Blvd posted speed limit will be 45 mph, west of Veterans Blvd speed will remain at 25 mph while lane closures remain
The additional dedicated westbound right-turn lane at the 45th St S intersection will open mid-November.
Motorists will also notice a new design at three intersections along 52nd Ave S. 47th Street South, 53rd Street South, and 53rd Avenue South are all RCUT intersections and fully open and in use.
Benefits of an RCUT intersection:
- Eliminates dangerous left-turn and cross traffic movements (T-Bone)
- Offers a well-defined access to the arterial roadway
- Cost effective and safe solution for smaller intersections that don’t qualify for a signal system
In the later stages of construction crews prioritized fully completing the roadway. Throughout the project, sidewalk and drainage design is being re-evaluated to ensure sidewalk placement doesn’t impact existing drainage and future development. Work to complete the new multi-use paths, landscaping, and profile corrections were moved to a 2020 completion date.
The mile and half stretch of 52nd Ave S between 45th St S and 63rd St S was completely reconstructed and upgraded from a rural two-lane roadway to an urban four-lane divided roadway with dedicated turn lanes in south Fargo this year. Additional project work included:
- Installation of new storm sewer, street lighting, and new shared used path along both sides of 52nd Ave and underneath the new drain 27 bridges
- Expansion of the water infrastructure along the west end of the 52nd Ave corridor
- Installation of new traffic signals at the 63rd St S and Veterans Blvd intersections
**Please remember all schedules are tentative and weather dependent.