Fargo Youth Initiative
The Fargo Youth Initiative serves as an advisory body to the Fargo City Commission representing the current needs and issues of the city’s youth. It is made up of up to 20 students from 7th to 12th grade from middle and high schools around Fargo.
FYI’s Mission: Empowering the voice and uniting the youth of Fargo through actions and teamwork.
FYI’s Vision: Creating an atmosphere where youth have a positive sustainable impact on the community of Fargo.
FYI serves three critical functions:
- To serve as a liaison between the City of Fargo and the youth of Fargo.
- To investigate needs, problems and issues affecting the youth of Fargo.
- Research issues and make policy or project recommendations to the Fargo City Commission.
FYI sets their meeting schedule, meeting more regularly during the school year and less informally during the summer. They host an annual event called Impact Fargo, which caters to high school students at large.
Find FYI’s most recent presentation to the Fargo City Commission here.
Qualities of a FYI Member
- Flipping the "me" to "we"
- Leadership abilities
- Drive/ambition to improve the community
- Community Services