Project: 17th Street South Improvements
Weather permitting, by early evening Monday, September 21, contractors plan to open the final section of the newly reconstructed 17th Street South roadway. Crews will remove all traffic control from the road and watermain improvement project and open 17th Street South to through traffic between 21st Avenue to 25th Avenue South.
Once traffic control is removed, motorists can expect:
- 17th Street South fully open between 21st Avenue to 25th Avenue South.
The purpose of this project was to upgrade portions of the City’s infrastructure in this area including water main, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, pavement, curb and gutter, sidewalks, and street lighting.
The reconstruction of the 17th Street South roadway was necessary due to the deterioration of the existing street section, which was installed in 1972 with street patching done throughout the years. A mill and overlay on 25th Avenue South provided a new wearing surface as well as corrected deficiencies which appeared over time.
Work on 17th Street South was divided into three sections to maintain residential access as much as possible. The project was split into the following phases:
- Phase One: 25th Avenue South between 18th Street to 16th Street South
- 25th Avenue South between 16th Street and 17th Street was closed for a short duration of two weeks to accommodate storm sewer installation.
- Phase Two: 17th Street South between 21st Avenue to 25th Avenue South
- Work on 17th Street South was divided into three sections to maintain residential access as much as possible.
- Phase Three: 25th Avenue South between 18th Street to 14th Street South
- Temporary lane closures were in place during the mill and overlay portion of this project.