Project: 17th Street South Improvements
Beginning Thursday, August 13, after 7 a.m., contractors plan to begin work on the final section of the 17th Street South road and watermain improvement project. Crews will shift project work north to the last remaining section of phase two work taking place on 17th Street South between 21st Avenue to 25th Avenue South. Work on 17th Street South is divided into three sections to maintain residential access as much as possible.
Once traffic control is in place, motorists can expect:
- Northern section of 17th Street South fully closed to traffic and local access will be from the south at 25th Avenue South
Phase work may overlap, and multiple phases may be under construction at the same time. Project work is split into the following phases:
- Phase One: 25th Avenue South between 18th Street to 16th Street South
- 25th Avenue South between 16th Street and 17th Street will be closed for a short duration of two weeks to accommodate storm sewer installation.
- Phase Two: 17th Street South between 21st Avenue to 25th Avenue South
- Work on 17th Street South will be divided into three sections to maintain residential access as much as possible.
- Phase Three: 25th Avenue South between 18th Street to 14th Street South
- Temporary lane closures will be in place during the mill and overlay portion of this project.
Pedestrian access will be maintained throughout each phase of project work. Access to some driveways will be restricted during construction activities. Side streets and avenues will need to be utilized during these times.
The purpose of this project is to upgrade portions of the City’s infrastructure in this area including water main, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, pavement, curb and gutter, sidewalks, and street lighting.
The reconstruction of the 17th Street South roadway is necessary due to the deterioration of the existing street section, which was installed in 1972 with street patching done throughout the years. A mill and overlay on 25th Avenue South will provide a new wearing surface as well as correct deficiencies which have appeared over time.
Please remember to slow down and watch for trucks entering and exiting the work area.
The project work should be complete by early October.