Project: 52nd Avenue Reconstruction Project
With the opening of 40th Avenue W. and Sheyenne Street intersection in West Fargo, the contractors for City of Fargo 52nd Avenue South improvement project will begin work at Veterans Boulevard and 63rd Street South intersections next week.
Starting Thursday, June 20 at 8 a.m., the 52nd Avenue closure will extend the work zone west thru the Veterans Blvd intersection and close 52nd Avenue from east of 63rd St S to the west end of the project, including the intersection of 63rd St S and 52nd Ave S. Motorist will encounter:
- A portion of 52nd Ave S will remain open from west of the Veterans Blvd intersection thru Rocking Horse Road to maintain business and residential access.
- A temporary bypass road was constructed at Veterans Blvd intersection and will be maintained throughout this phase of work. A single lane of traffic will be open in each direction.
- The intersection of 53rd Avenue South and Rocking Horse Road will remain open off the mainline of 52nd Avenue.
- Access to all north and south businesses along this stretch will remain open. Visitors to the business in the area are encouraged to plan ahead and contact the local business for the best route of travel.
The City of Fargo worked closely with the City of West Fargo to coordinate phasing of the adjacent Sheyenne Street reconstruction projects in order to ensure arterial roadways were available as detour routes.
After the traffic control is in place, motorists will encounter the following access:
North business access:
- Veterans Blvd to 51st Street South to 53rd St S (the roundabout intersection just north of 52nd Ave S)
- Veterans Blvd temp access road, to mainline of 52nd Avenue to Rocking Horse Road
South business access:
- East loop: Veterans Blvd to 51st Street South to 53rd St S (the roundabout intersection just north of 52nd Ave S) to 53rd Ave S business loop
- West loop: Veterans Blvd temp access road, to mainline of 52nd Avenue to 53rd Ave S business loop
Project phases anticipate the Veterans and 63rd Street intersections to be open ahead of school resuming. The east side of the work zone over Drain 27 is slated to open to one driving lane in each direction to 45th Street South intersection by mid-August. Both are weather and road condition permitting.
Summer school is in session at schools near the project limits. Motorists are encouraged to add extra time to their travel plans through the area during peak hours (especially from 7:30 – 8 AM on Veterans Blvd). Speeds are reduced near the school on Veterans Blvd and an all way stop was added by city at 44th Avenue South and 53rd Street South intersection.
Neighborhood roadways should be limited to local traffic only. Motorists wishing to continue travel on 52nd Ave S are encouraged to use other major arterial routes on either side of the bridge:
- West: 45th Street South to 40th Avenue South to Veterans Boulevard
- East: Sheyenne Street to 40th Ave S to 45th St S
- East: Veterans Blvd to 40th Ave S to 45th St S
Over the course of this project, adjacent work zones may impact suggested driving routes. This summer project work will occur in City of West Fargo’s Sheyenne Street Segment Three (32nd Avenue South to 40th Avenue South); City of Horace’s County at Highway 17/76th Avenue South intersection and additional City of Fargo flood mitigation project will construct a box culvert south of 52nd Ave S across 63rd St S.
The next 52nd Avenue closure will be between west of Veterans Blvd through Rocking House Road. The phase will begin once access is restored through 63rd Street and Veterans intersections.
The mile and a half stretch of 52nd Ave S between 45th St S and 63rd St S improvement project will be spread over six-phases through October and completely reconstruct the rural two-lane roadway to an urban four-lane divided roadway with dedicated turn lanes.
Phase work will overlap or begin after specific phases are complete. Eastbound and westbound 52nd Ave S will be reconstructed in multiple phases between:
- East side of Veterans Blvd to west of 45th St S (complete by mid-August)
- East of 63rd St S to west of Veterans Blvd (work to begin after mid-June)
- West of the 63rd St S intersection to east of McMahon Estates Circle (work to begin after mid-June)
**Please remember all schedules are tentative and weather dependent.