Project: 52nd Avenue Reconstruction Project
Next week contractors for City of Fargo 52nd Avenue South improvement project will begin a short-term closure south of the Veterans Blvd and 52nd Ave S intersection to install utilities through the area.
Starting Monday, April 29 after 9 a.m., a section of Veterans Blvd south of 52nd Avenue will be fully closed to thru-traffic. The intersection of 53rd Street South will remain open to north and south traffic to cross the mainline of 52nd Avenue. Access to all north and south businesses along this stretch will remain open but it might be off other connections. To access businesses along the 53rd Avenue South business loop driver are encouraged to use 53rd Street South. Please be patient and call ahead if you need more direction to a specific location. The roadway is slated to reopen to traffic by Friday evening.
After the traffic control is in place, motorists will encounter the following access:
North business access:
- Veterans Blvd to 51st Street South to 53rd St S (the roundabout intersection just north of 52nd Ave S)
South business access:
- Use 53rd St S and 52nd Ave S intersection to access 53rd Ave S business loop
- Full 52nd Ave S road between west of 45th St S to east of Veterans Blvd intersection
- 52nd Ave S and 47th St intersection
- Section of Veterans Blvd south of 52nd Ave S intersection
- Full 52nd Ave S road and intersections between Veterans Blvd through 63rd Street South
- 52nd Ave S and 53rd St S intersection – north and south access only
- Veterans Blvd and 45th Street intersections
Motorists are encouraged to add extra time to their travel plans through the area during peak hours (especially from 7:30 – 8 AM on Veterans Blvd). Speeds are reduced near the school on Veterans Blvd and an all way stop was added by city at 44th Avenue South and 53rd Street South intersection.
Neighborhood roadways should be limited to local traffic only. Motorists wishing to continue travel on 52nd Ave S are encouraged to use other major arterial routes on either side of the bridge:
- West: 45th Street South to 40th Avenue South to Veterans Boulevard
- West: 52nd Ave S to Sheyenne Street (until Segment 3 work starts in early April)
- East: Veterans Blvd to 40th Ave S to 45th St S
The next 52nd Avenue closure will extend the work zone from west of the Veterans Blvd intersection to east of 63rd St S. Work is anticipated to begin in this phase in mid-June. Project phases anticipate the east side of the work zone over Drain 27 to open to one driving lane in each direction to 45th Street South intersection by mid-August. Both are weather and road condition permitting.
The mile and a half stretch of 52nd Avenue South between 45th Street South and 63rd Street South improvement project will be spread over six-phases through October and completely reconstruct the rural two-lane roadway to an urban four-lane divided roadway with dedicated turn lanes.
Phase work will overlap or begin after specific phases are complete in south Fargo. Eastbound and westbound 52nd Avenue South will be reconstructed in multiple phases between:
- East side of Veterans Boulevard to west of 45th Street South (complete by mid-August)
- East of 63rd Street South to west of Veterans Boulevard (work to begin after mid-June)
- West of the 63rd Street South intersection to east of McMahon Estates Circle (work to begin after mid-June)
Over the course of this project, adjacent work zones may impact suggested driving routes. This summer project work will occur in City of West Fargo, Sheyenne Street Segment Three (32nd Avenue South to 40th Avenue South), City of Horace County Highway 17/76th Avenue South intersection and additional City of Fargo flood mitigation project will construct a box culvert south of 52nd Avenue South across 63rd Street South.
**Please remember all schedules are tentative and weather dependent.