Project: 13th Avenue Reconstruction Project
Beginning, Wednesday, June 20 early in the morning contractors for the 13th Avenue Road Reconstruction and Infrastructure Improvement Project will begin work on the intersection of 13th Avenue and 45th Street South in Fargo. Weather permitting, construction activities are slated to last for three weeks and overnight work will occur throughout the multiple phases of the intersection rehabilitation.
On Tuesday, June 19, late in the evening traffic control will start being set up through the intersection work zone. Crews will be replacing sections of existing pavement that have started to deteriorate with new concrete pavement to extend the overall life of the intersection. The intersection will not be fully reconstructed or closed to traffic.
During the first week of intersection work, while crews improve the northwest quadrant of the intersection:
- One southbound and two northbound lanes will be maintained
- Left turns will not be allowed for 13th Avenue eastbound traffic to go north on 45th Street South
After this quadrant is complete crews will begin work in the center of the intersection on the north portion. Work will be complete after they finish the south portion in the center of the 45th Street South and 13th Avenue intersection. Left turn restrictions will be in place for northbound 45th Street South drivers wishing to turn west on 13th Avenue and eastbound 13th Avenue drivers wishing to turn north on 45th Street South in the later phases.
By the end of the week, the intersection of 50th Street Southwest and 13th Avenue will again be accessible to drivers in each direction.
On 13th Avenue between 45th Street South in Fargo to 12th Street East in West Fargo, traffic will continue to be carried head-to-head, plus turn lanes, on the north side of the street through the work zone. All other intersections will remain open as crews continue with construction activity on the south side of the street.
INTERSECTION IMPROVEMENT WORK- Wednesday, June 20
- LOCATION: Intersection of 45th Street and 13th Avenue
- CHANGE: Reduced lanes and restricted turning movements
- STARTING: Wednesday, June 20 early in the morning
- DURATION: Three weeks
- PROJECT WORK: Crews will be replacing sections of existing pavement that has started to deteriorate with new concrete pavement to extend the overall life of the intersection.
TRAFFIC CONTROL – Phase 2, the current traffic phase will continue until late July
Work zone: 13th Avenue between 45th Street South in Fargo to 12th Street East in West Fargo
Traffic control: Motorist are carried side-by-side on the north side of the roadway
- One driving lane plus dedicated left turn lane each direction
- Access to surrounding side streets
- Business access is maintained
- Southside of the roadway
- Sidewalks: North to south pedestrian crossing is at 9th or 45th Streets.
- Intermittent intersection work: south side access of 14th, 16th, 17th, 50th and 48th intersections
To access commerce or travel through the area, drivers are encouraged to use alternative routes for their east-west driving on alternative area roads.
PROJECT PHASES – As the project progresses, there will be multiple shifts in traffic control. The anticipated phase schedule is:
- Phase 2 completion (Current) – late July
- Side-by-side traffic on north side of roadway
- Phase 3 completion – Middle of September
- Side-by-side traffic on south side of roadway
- Phase 4 completion – Middle of October
- 45th Street intersection pavement repairs (Current) – Approximately 3 weeks in June
- Project completion – Middle of October (100% traffic open)
The purpose of the project is to replace aging infrastructure, with a goal of improving both pedestrian and vehicular safety and increasing roadway capacity through the area.
**Please remember all schedules are tentative and weather dependent.