Asphalt Wear Course Project: 2020
Zone: SouthWhat zone am I?
Start: June 2020
Estimated Completion: Fall 2020
Current Status (Updated 9/9/2020):
- Area 1: The Contractor has finished replacing curb and gutter in this area. The Contractor plans on edge milling the street the week of Sept. 14th – Sept. 18th. Asphalt paving of the street will begin the following week.
- Area 2: The Contractor is finishing up the curb and gutter replacement in this area. The Contractor plans on edge milling the street the week of Sept. 14th – Sept. 18th. Asphalt paving of the street will begin the following week.
- Area 3: The Contractor has finished up the paving of all road in this area. Landscaping is planned to be done in this area in the next week or two.
- Area 4: The Contractor will be working on replacing curb and gutter sections on streets in this area. They plan on edge milling the street the week of Sept. 14th – Sept. 18th. Asphalt paving of the street will begin the following week.
- Area 5: The Contractor is working on finishing up paving of the streets in this area. Landscaping is planned to be done in this area in the next week or two.
This project is part of the City's annual infrastructure improvement efforts and impacts multiple areas of Fargo each construction season. The purpose of the project is to install the final structural layer of pavement to recently constructed streets.
Per City of Fargo standard practice, the asphalt wear course is not installed during a road's initial construction, thereby allowing for the wear course to be installed upon the completion of the majority of the housing/commercial development in the area. By installing the wear course at this time, we are able to correct roadway deficiencies that have been caused by natural settlement and/or the activities associated with housing/commercial construction.
As part of the project, the Contractor will be mud-jacking sections of the curb and gutter in an effort to alleviate major drainage problems. This process involves drilling small holes through the curb and gutter section (and driveway apron when necessary) and injecting mud/concrete slurry through holes to raise the gutter to the desired grade.
The Contractor will replace areas of broken pavement, as well as a limited amount of curb and gutter. The Contractor will also be replacing any sections of sidewalk that need updating in order to satisfy the accessibility standards set forth by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The project will take place in five different areas across south Fargo. To view the affected areas, please refer to the project's Overall Project Map via the Project Resources section on the right side of this page.
Traffic will be maintained during construction, but short-term lane closures, parking restrictions, and sidewalk closures are required to safely accommodate construction activity.
Construction will begin in June and will continue throughout the summer with completion scheduled for the end of September.
This project will be 100% funded by Special Assessments to the benefiting properties.
Fargo Parcels is a good resource for viewing the current estimated special assessments for your property. Property owners will receive an initial assessment estimate for their property, and this estimate will change once the project has been completed. Special Assessments are payable over 25 years with interest applied.
This project is needed to add the final structural layer of asphalt to our roads. This will give the road section its designed thickness while correcting any deficiencies which have appeared over time. By installing the asphalt wear course at this time we can help extend the life of our roads while achieving a smoother riding surface with improved drainage.