3rd Avenue, 11th Street, & 12th Street North Improvements (2nd Ave to 4th Ave)
Zone: DowntownWhat zone am I?
Start: May 11, 2020
Estimated Completion: October 2020
Motorists can expect the following traffic pattern through the work zone:
- CLOSED: 3rd Avenue North between 11th Street and 12th Street North, including both intersections
- OPEN: 11th Street North between 2nd Avenue and 3rd Avenue North
- OPEN: 12th Street North between 3rd Avenue to 4th Avenue North
The contractor will ensure business and residential access is maintained during each phase of project work. Side streets and alleyways will also remain open for access to residential homes.
Motorist can expect limited parking available on the west side of 12th Street and no parking on the east side of the road or on either side of 11th Street North.
This project consists of the replacement of the water main, sanitary sewer main and street reconstruction on 3rd Avenue North from University Drive to 10th Street, 12th Street North from 3rd Avenue to 4th Avenue, and 11th Street North from 2nd Avenue to 4th Avenue.
An informational meeting was held Tuesday, February 11th, 2020, at 5:30 PM in the City Commission Room at City Hall, 225 4th Street North, Fargo. The meeting was recorded and can be viewed below. Additionally, the meeting video and a PDF of the presentation slides can be viewed via the Project Resources section located on the right side of this page.
February 11, 2020 Public Information Meeting
The project will be completed in four phases to limit impacts to property owners and residents within the project area. Phase work may overlap, and multiple phases may be under construction at the same time. Project work will be split into the following phases:
- Phase One: 3rd Avenue North between University Drive to west of 12th Street North and east of 11th Street to 10th Street North
- Phase Two: 3rd Avenue North between 12th Street to east of 11th Street North
- Phase Three: 12th Street North between 3rd Avenue to 4th Avenue North and 11th Street North between 2nd Avenue to 3rd Avenue North, including work in the 2nd Avenue North intersection
- Phase Four: 11th Street North between 3rd Avenue to 4th Avenue North
Traffic and parking will not be available within each respective phase while it is under construction.
The contractor will maintain access to all properties throughout the duration of the project.
Construction is slated to begin the week of May 11, with completion scheduled for early November 2020.
This project will be funded through a combination of Waste Water Utility Funds, Water Utility Funds, & Special Assessments.
- The existing sanitary sewer is comprised of GUNITE and VCP pipe that was installed over 50 years ago. The pipes are showing signs of deterioration and various sections have areas were tree roots have infiltrated the pipe. The GUNITE pipe will be replaced with 36-inch PVC pipe to accommodate the flow required along 3rd Ave and the VCP will be replaced with 12-inch PVC pipe.
- The portions of the existing water main to be replaced are 6” cast iron pipe (CIP), which is being replaced with DR-18 PVC pipe to minimize impacts and costs associated with breaks. Approximately 60% of the existing water main within the project area will be replaced.
- The street is being fully reconstructed along with the installation of the new sanitary sewer, water main and storm sewer. The reconstruction will include new concrete pavement and curb and gutter. Sidewalks will be replaced in areas that have not been recently redeveloped.