Fargo Backyard Chicken Keeping
In May 2017, the City Commission amended the Fargo Municipal Code to allow residents to keep chickens in their backyard. The ordinance also includes certain regulations* one should be aware of if planning to raise chickens:
- Up to 4 chickens may be kept.
- No roosters are permitted.
- Owners must provide a coop for the chickens that is predator proof, well vented, offers a minimum of 4 square feet per chicken, and is not over 6 feet in height, along with a run or outdoor enclosure with a minimum of 10 square feet per chicken. Additional specifics on coop and run requirements are in section 12-0310 of the ordinance.
- Coops and runs may not be located in the front yard and must be at least 3 feet from any adjacent premises.
- Chickens may not run at large and need to be kept in the coop and run at all times unless under the direct supervision of an adult.
- No slaughtering within city limits.
- An annual $10 permit is required and can be obtained through the City Auditor’s office.
City of Fargo Ordinances
*The list above is only a summary; refer to the ordinances for complete regulations.